• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Old Hand - New to the Forum

RodN

First Name
Rod
I have been turning since I retired seven years ago. I used to own my own businesses, with branches all over the world, but one day I just decided to sell up and enjoy the more relaxed things in life. Nowadays when people ask me what I do (as if one's employment is a sort of status symbol), I just smile gently, and say "I play".

I spend much of my time here, which used to be an old coach house at the back of the house. Known by the other significant inhabitant of the house as the "Man Cave". Upstairs is the den with my computer and desks, downstairs is the workshop.

exterior1-600.jpg

ws12-01.jpg

The main tool....
ws12-02.jpg

I make pens, shaving brushes and a few other odd items when I feel like it. During the last seven years I have made 2,076 items, and have kept a record of each of them from day one. Each has a sequential production number, whether it is a shaving brush or pen.

My constant companion is Honey, a rescue dog who came into my life a couple of years ago. She was about to be put down at the dog pound. She is a collie/springer spaniel cross.

20130505-09s.jpg

My other great love is playing guitar, which I have been doing for around 55 years. Once upon a time I used to earn money doing that, but nowadays I just play in our local church.

r2.jpg

Cheers
Rod

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Hi Rod - welcome aboard. I'm sure our paths have crossed in the past. I definitely recognise that photo of your workshop. A different forum maybe, or perhaps I bought something from you. Can't place it now though. Welcome to the forum.

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Hi Rod, I too recognised some of your photos (from your website) and it looks like some of the guys now you from old.
So welcome to the asylum, pull up a couch and relax. The psychotherapist will be along shortly :wink: :thumbs:

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
At last you've come out! Great to see you. I've been a long-time admirer of your work (seen more often on another, now defunct, site). Why don't you post your website to allow other forum members to enjoy the browsing?

Regards,

Bob.

RodN

First Name
Rod

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Welcome again to the forum, some lovely pens, but I think I am more impressed with the range of shaving brushes, some stunners there:thumbs:

Peter

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
Beautiful work. Not many that think to document their work from the beginning. That's brilliant. Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. How did you cut the spiral design and finish the pens?

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums Ron, you have a very nice pad from where you work my friend .. Thanks for showing those well made items to Ron .. :thumbs:

If you have more then please add them in the appropriate forum so they do not get lost in the welcome thread .. :bwink:

RodN

First Name
Rod
How did you cut the spiral design and finish the pens?

It is done using a "Pen Wizard". Basically it is a technique known as "engine turning".
Quite an expensive little machine that doesn't pay for itself. Pens like this sell in the USA, but not very well at all in England, where we tend to be a little more conservative and traditional. ;-)

zg-01.jpg

zg-05.jpg

1578-soudley-maples2-600.jpg

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).