• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Green wood

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I have been given a large piece of Rowan well we think its Rowan that has just been cut down. I won't be using the wood for some time and it will be stored out side, would sealing the ends be adequate to stop it cracking. :nooidea:

Jim

Grand Master
Seal the wood and then putting it under something like a tarpaulin sheet may help Andy ... :thinks:

Pete B

Registered
Hi Andy,
i've sealed ends on branchwood, cut trunks in half and sealed, kept under cover, outside and even sometimes hose them down a bit. I also have a big blue barrel full of half hollowed cherry in water.
Some will and do still split.
Best chance is what Jim said, seal, cover and try and keep cool.

Regards

Pete

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Hi Andy,
i've sealed ends on branchwood, cut trunks in half and sealed, kept under cover, outside and even sometimes hose them down a bit. I also have a big blue barrel full of half hollowed cherry in water.
Some will and do still split.
Best chance is what Jim said, seal, cover and try and keep cool.

Regards

Pete

Pete, do you seal the cherry before placing them in water, i have never heard of this process before. :thinks:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
What do you seal the wood with Jim. I've got some green holly, chestnut and oak coming shortly.

keith

Jim

Grand Master
What do you seal the wood with Jim. I've got some green holly, chestnut and oak coming shortly.

keith

A long time ago Keith, i bought a few bags of wax in small pieces from ebay, i put them in a large old pan from the wife's kitchen (with permission of course) melted them all into a solid, now when i have some wood to seal i cut to a size where it will dip into the large pan of wax ... :thumbs:

I have used emulsion with good results on some large logs i had given a while back .. :bwink:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
A long time ago Keith, i bought a few bags of wax in small pieces from ebay, i put them in a large old pan from the wife's kitchen (with permission of course) melted them all into a solid, now when i have some wood to seal i cut to a size where it will dip into the large pan of wax ... :thumbs:

I have used emulsion with good results on some large logs i had given a while back .. :bwink:

Dont work the wax on the end of the logs melts of during Spring/Summer.:vangry::vangry::vangry:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith

Thanks Jim, I think I'll try emulsion to start with

Pete B

Registered
Sorry Tony,

no i didn'tseal it. I just roughed quite afew items out and keep them in the barrel of water.
The reason was i did a few the traditional way, part tturned etc and sealed and they all cracked. But i heard from others and learned that Cheery was really prone to cracking.
So the plan was put them in water, then turn to a finish when i get around to it. They might season a bit i don't know.
A very talented Gentleman from North of the Border puts his in a stream and they season, but it might be the flowing/chainging water i don't know.
So i did it primarily to try and stop them cracking until i was ready.
I even tried a few small baowls and forms on the Boss's huge stock pan, i was trying the boiling ,method.
That didn't work for me either as they still cracked as did my head nearly when She came home and i had not removed the evidence in time.
'This is a kitchen not a workshop extension'
I still don't know what she meant by that !! There are so many things in the kitchen that sometimes and handily become useful and essential in the workshop.

Pete

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I even tried a few small bowls and forms on the Boss's huge stock pan, i was trying the boiling ,method.
That didn't work for me either as they still cracked as did my head nearly when She came home and i had not removed the evidence in time.
'This is a kitchen not a workshop extension'

Pete

Isn't the kitchen the place where you do the boiling???:nooidea::nooidea:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).