• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Died Cobra Slimline in a Brown Mallee Sliced Box

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The pen was made using a dyed Cobra Skin around the brass encapsulated. The consecutive slices box from Brown Mallee Burl.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• 620383175c.jpg
    620383175c.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 51

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Hi David Yes you could have normally but I find dumbing down my images and lots of problems since switching computers some months ago coupled with my picture album program every upgrade shifts the goal posts. Much happier behind the lathe than one finger tapping the computer so sorry not at this point in time can I access the top pics.

This one piece of burl was a jaw dropper and four slices that I cut from it consecutively yielded so much excitement I made two different boxes and matching pens. Hand finished on 12000 grit so flat the four thick slices held together by suction when placed one on top of the other and lifted. Then made pen rests from four thinner ones. I am often able to buy offcut slices of Brown and other Mallees from burl getters after they cut burl for pen blanks. I have a mate with twenty tonnes of various Burl in his yard a km from me in town however he takes it 200 kms away to convert to pen blanks and the other burl he exports to other countries as a wholesaler. This is tough work as all burl also loses a fair percentage in thick bark and it is sold wet then loses a great deal of weight when dry.

If and when anyone can buy burl in cut/dry form by selection go for it there are so many losses in cutting burl blanks. At our Annual Working With Wood travelling Show in September I will look for more slices.

Now and this is important to buy, cut, dry/ Pack and freight will not happen any more from me been there and lost much money sharing this way so many times. Bought 27 sticks of Golden Amboyna dry and cut up to a metre long by 2 1/2 inches square sold the majority in two days cut by me into four for blanks at my cost. One other time 2000 Brown Mallee blanks 4 yrs dry all went to the Aussie U Beaut site in blocks of nine so much packing posting time and so thats my story told.

The grass is always greener on the other side and every country seems to fell the need for others blanks.

Take care and scour those hedge rows for briar burl I find that most impressive and a bit like bottoms every one has one.

Kind regards Peter.

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I am no expert but have had a play with your picture Peter.
I hope it meets approval, if not it can be thrown away again.
Are you an American living in Australia?
I note you don't speak English when referring to wood It's a Burr not a Burl.
620383175c.resized.jpg

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Thats fantastic, but its a slimline! Such workmanship should be on a much more worthy kit.

You might have guessed that I don't like slimlines!

Jed Baxter

Registered
That is a stunner Peter ... :thumbs:

Thats fantastic, but its a slimline! Such workmanship should be on a much more worthy kit.

You might have guessed that I don't like slimlines!

My hobby of pen making would come to a stand still if it wasn't for the mighty slimline. Selling these helps keep my stocks going, my thoughts of the slimline are quite the opposite Neil :bwink:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Good morning here,

I relate the following in 1955 a lady friend who built a house 3 doors down from us had been married for a few years then but had this experience, whilst single she travelled and worked in London as a member of a very busy typing pool it was following a terribly busy period shortly before finish time she made a mistake and screamed out I have a date for dinner has anyone got a rubber? She related the whole atmosphere changed, very few spoke with her some for days.

Now George there is a reason why we use words taught to us as we grow up where we live in England where the use of the word eraser appears to convey what she was looking for interpretations can differ some more critical than others no doubt this will continue.

Yes I use the word description Burl will always use it preferring this to a Burr that was early days placed under the saddle to cause distress bucking of a horse at a rodeo. Give it a Burl mate sounds good.

There is more to enjoy sharing.

I viewed with interest the changing of the Brown Mallee pic one day I will rephotograph the plate again it deserves it.

Incidentally travelling through England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales there were so many times I felt the need of an interpreter such a small area with so many dialects indeed.
quite parochial. However with incorrect spelling you call it Tomaarto I call it Tomatato we will never be in doubt that the beauty of Burl timber from anywhere in the world.

Kind regards Peter.

Descended from Scottish family adjacent to Edinburgh who had the good fortune to Emigrate to Australia in the 1840,s one of the oft used words by my Mum and Dad to my sister have you got your Pinny on a common name in the Printing Industry that remained in my family for an apron.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Prey tell young sir what would be a more worthy kit in your esteemed opinion?

Too difficult for you I guess, I understand sir I struggle with the little devils too.

That's such a cracking box that a Nouveau Sceptre would do it justice, amongst others. I do make slimlines, plenty of them but they are poor sellers on my patch. I tend to convert the slimline stylus by using a streamline centreband to give it a bit more thickness. I hate the slimlines that have the bulbous designs on the end, they look ghastly in my opinion, although I'll probably upset someone with that opinion as I know that some find them appealing. I have mild arthiritis as a result of having my fingers broken playing rugby and I can't hold the slimlines with any degree of comfort, so that probably taints my opinion a tad.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Tother reason I'm not keen on the slimlines is that the manufacturing quality of the components is not brilliant, they can vary in dimension, the nib cone in particular.

Jim

Grand Master
Another cracking pen also Peter, what wood is it? ... :thinks:

although I'll probably upset someone with that opinion as I know that some find them appealing.

I don't see why anyone would or should get upset by an opinion Neil, this is what we are about, open and fair criticism is good as long as we don't throw in personal attacks ...

But i do agree with the comment you make about the bulbous ends ...

A slimline is what it is, you have to tart them up a little to make them look good .. In all fairness the slimline is what it is and it reminds me of an old saying "You can put lipstick on a Pig, but it is still a Pig" But i can sell them ... :bwink:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Peter,
interesting comments regarding materials available in other countries and the photos of the burr pen box - excellent by the way. I think though that anybody in the UK would not 'waste' burr as good as that on a box. You are lucky to be able to have that luxury - jammy beggar. Also I had to smile regarding the different dialects in this country. As someone who has worked all over the UK for the last 40 years I hear this all the time and I love it. I dare say if I was talking to Jim I would revert straightaway to broad yorkshire and you would really struggle to understand us. Duz thy agree Jim owd cock

Jim

Grand Master
I dare say if I was talking to Jim I would revert straightaway to broad yorkshire and you would really struggle to understand us. Duz thy agree Jim owd cock

You know Keith, when i read Peter's post i was thinking the same as what you have posted ... Tha wunt understand owt we were saying tha nos ... :bwink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).