• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Lignum vitae on a Slimline Pen

Jim

Grand Master
The other day we mentioned the wood Lignum vitae and i said that i was put off using this wood for some reason, see this post http://www.penturners.co.uk/off-topic-forum/824-woods-segmenting.html#post7885 ... Anyway today i took on the gremlins (I didn't have any to be honest but it makes for good reading) as i honestly don't recall why i totally ignored this wood for such a long time ... :nooidea:

Lignum_vitae_on_a_Slimline_Pen.jpg

Finished with CA and polished with the magic cream from Pete B ... The center band is custom made from a piece of home made resin ...

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Nice pen, Jim. I always understood Lignum Vitae was a very oily wood, which was why it was often used as a 'bearing' for moving parts. Will it not affect the CA finish?

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
Nice pen, Jim. I always understood Lignum Vitae was a very oily wood, which was why it was often used as a 'bearing' for moving parts. Will it not affect the CA finish?

It was used for bearings... for sure...

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
I worked on a steam tug restoration project and the bearing on the drive shaft there were made of lignum vitae

Jim

Grand Master

A quick wipe with meths will hopefully stop any profanities at a later date David ... Well i did read this somewhere ... :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).