• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Split Bandsaw Blade

Jim

Grand Master
I was cutting up a small piece of wood today and noticed that the blade was moving in and out , i opened the top door and turned the wheel manually and saw the blade coming to the front of the wheel then going back to the center, so i moved the alignment to see if it stayed central, i moved the wheel manually again when i saw a big split in the blade. I have only had this on a month, so it isn't with wear and tear .. :rolling:

The size is 3/4 x 8 TPI

Any ideas guys ... :thinks:

split_band_saw_blade.jpg

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Fault in the metal as it not on the weld i would talk to the supplier see what they say

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Is that the one you got from Ian at Tuffsaws? I have just taken delivery of 4 from him I hope I have no problems with them.
Talk to him and see what he has to say, please keep us informed.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Phone Ian at Tuffsaws, he'll sort it straighaway. Never had a problem like that myself Jim

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks guys, i will drop him an email asking if he has seen this before .. :thinks:

Mark i do have another, your point is valid .. I will check this before i place it onto the machine ... :bwink:

Jim

Grand Master
Great service from this company ...

Not only has he given me advice, he is replacing the blade with one he is recommending for the work that i do on the bandsaw .. :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
What blade has he recommended, Jim?

Not quite sure yet David, waiting for details ... :thinks:

Here is his response .... :thumbs:

Hi Jim

I can't be 100% sure but I'm convinced that it's just that this bandsaw doesn't cope too well with 3/4" blades - even though Record say that it will run a 3/4" blade, standard 3/4" blades don't seem to tension properly or run that well on it.

My range of Premium blades are made from thinner material than standard blades and these tend to perform a lot better but they don't have the same range of tooth pitches.

How important is the finish for the cutting that you do?

I've got a couple of blades that I think will be much better for the cutting that you are doing but it depends on the importance of the finish as to which will be better.

If you could let me know the importance of the finish and I will send you one free of charge to make up for the 3/4" blade going as it did.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Pleased about that Jim. Thats why I always use tuffsaws and recommend them whenever I can.

keith

Jim

Grand Master
The blade that was recommended arrived Friday, i opened it today and inside was a note with the data on it ... It read 5/8" x 3/4 vary TPI ... :thinks:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Jim, 5/8 is the blade width. 3/4 is not threequarters but the variable pitch of the teeth, some 3 per inch and some 4 per inch

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).