• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

The first TB Bolt Action on UK Soil???

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Might not be the first but haven't seen any made up. so here's one!

My humour thrives on irony, so couldn't resist putting a bit of American timber on it. It's Arizona Desert Ironwood and it makes Lignum Vitae feel like putty. Stinks to turn, smells like burnt popcorn and is top of the smellie league followed very closely by Zebrano.

Jim

Grand Master
Good choice of wood Neil, and i like the irony that goes with it ... :devil:

I do like the pen style and will eventually invest in some, but i have the feeling that i would struggle selling them on my patch ... :thinks:

Jim

Grand Master
Jim/Jed,

Curious as to why you wouldn't have a market for them?

Neil

Neil, i have experimented with all kinds of pen styles over the years but i can't seem to sell anything other than a done up slimline .. At my last works the director asked me if i would make a couple of pens for some customers who was going to be visiting the factory .. He asked me to show him some examples of high end pens, to which i did .. He then asked me what the price would be, the pens were Statesman fountain pens and i stated that he would be looking at £50, and that i was giving them away at this price. I ended up making a couple of Barons that he paid me £20 each for ... The company had made £170+ million that year ... :whistling:

So on my patch it is Slimlines mainly and Barons for my high end pens .. :ciggrin:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Neil, i have experimented with all kinds of pen styles over the years but i can't seem to sell anything other than a done up slimline .. At my last works the director asked me if i would make a couple of pens for some customers who was going to be visiting the factory .. He asked me to show him some examples of high end pens, to which i did .. He then asked me what the price would be, the pens were Statesman fountain pens and i stated that he would be looking at £50, and that i was giving them away at this price. I ended up making a couple of Barons that he paid me £20 each for ... The company had made £170+ million that year ... :whistling:

So on my patch it is Slimlines mainly and Barons for my high end pens .. :ciggrin:

What's your patch Jim?

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Having enlarged your picture i see no problems to be had with any patents.
Any trying to get one or protect an existing one is on a loser in any country.
The patent has to be on the invention not the idea.
There is no new invention here nor new idea come to that, I had a four colour pen when I was a child that employed the same action / movement, method to get the different colours to the nib.
What's new and why would anyone think they have something to protect by keeping it to themselves.
I think somebody is exaggerating here \typical Yanks.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
In a previous life I published a sales-related article entitled 'Never Cold Call Again'. Within 24 hours I received a 'cease and desist' notice from an American lawyer because his client had trademarked the phrase!!! I tell you not one word of a lie ... The boy was not very happy when I pointed out that as I am in the UK only European trademarks applied, and the Europeans would never allow such silliness. Lots of name-calling and exaggerated threats!

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
And the lunatics are now arguing about the copywright of the words to the song Happy Birthday!! Was on the radio the day before yesterday, lawyers involved apparently.

Old Corky

I would wonder about your market. I know in the states we have a different relationship with guns and of course here in Texas you are very unusual if you don't have at least one. That being said the bolt action is my best seller. I only make a couple of small town shows a month. But, of 85 sales so far this year, 28 of them were bolt action and 18 were various slimeline pens.

Besides, with a bolt action pen you only turn one piece and press 3 parts together and you have a quality product.

Old Corky
From Pine Island, Texas

Attachments

• Iroko.JPG
    Iroko.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 3

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Besides, with a bolt action pen you only turn one piece and press 3 parts together and you have a quality product.

And that my friend is the art of Pen making???
I have a lathe to use it, to be productive, to enjoy my hobby.
You do your pressing and I'll do my turning thanks.
As for Quality product I'll judge for myself when I get hold of one, which I am certainly in no rush to do.
Guns? Guns? Guns are mounted on ships sir I wouldn't attempt to carry one, Rifles, Pistols, sidearms, shotguns, long list of Firearms over here. ( just another quirk of my Queens English)
Of which most are banned or licensed, only to be held by responsible people (seemingly).
Only idiots and criminals treat them as prized possessions or weald them around in an irresponsible manner, why would anyone want a bullet or firearm replica?
To be like one of the aforementioned?

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I would wonder about your market. I know in the states we have a different relationship with guns and of course here in Texas you are very unusual if you don't have at least one. That being said the bolt action is my best seller. I only make a couple of small town shows a month. But, of 85 sales so far this year, 28 of them were bolt action and 18 were various slimeline pens.

Old Corky
From Pine Island, Texas

Welcome to the forum and the debate. Its a bit odd to us over here as to why some over with you insist on the right to defend yourselves by having the ability to gun others down, the result I think that more people are killed each and every year than have been killed in total in Afhganistan. Its a bizarre logic. Somone on the IAP forum has the signature line "Peace is the bit in the middle where everyone stands around reloading"????!!

Regardless, turning is turning whether its straight or curved, segmented or not and I enjoy making the pen, I've sold alot of them both at USAF bases here and on the continent and at country shows. We do have many gun owners in this country but they are not perceived as fashion items and are used by true folk who farm the land and shoot for sport, such as clays or target shooting. We don't have as much wildlife over here and thankfully haven't yet fallen into the trap of running out of wildlife to kill so turning on each other, something which seems to be prevalent in the States.

Jim

Grand Master
The thing about pen making is that you make what you know you can sell ...

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).