• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Froggys Pens

Froggy

First Name
Tim
Hi Guys, I have just taken 2 quick snaps of some pens I turned recently. I hope this works ok first time because I made a typo in my 3rd post and couldn't find an edit button:sob:

and close up of a couple of them:

In the first picture they are from left to right: Walnut fountain pen, Dark Oak FP, Beech Biro, Yew Biro, Boxwood roller ball and finally light and dark oak Biro's.

I love turning the Yew and Boxwood because they are so tight grained and produce a lovely finish. Both bits of wood came from neighbours trees and the Boxwood is about 1000 years old according to my French neighbour. I also turn a few Oak pens but they are more open grained and the finish is not as good. This may sound daft but would using sanding sealer before a applying a finish help? If so what finish would you use?
Thanks for your get well messages, I'm well on the way to recovery now thanks. As for the other questions I'll answer them in my next post with some pictures of my furniture. But it may not be for a couple of hours as we are expecting visitors soon.

Cheers, Froggy.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Tim,

If you use friction polish you should always use sanding sealer, or a sealer such as eee cream. Use ca, then it's not necessary as it seals itself. Sanding sealer from a bottle will discolour the wood slightly, using acrylic or cellulose from a can will preserve the original colour and in my opinion is easier anyway.

Friction polish, there are several, chestnut, mylands, hut, record, my favourite shellawax from toolpost. Ca glue, find one that suits your technique - might sound vague and unhelpful but when you master it, to which, other than trial and error, there are no shortcuts, all will become clear

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Some nice pens there Tim. What is the kit second from the left?

Alanp

Registered
First Name
ALAN
Nice pens Tim my favourite finish is a CA finish but thats me try all finishes see what you like :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Well Tim there is nothing wrong with the turning and fitting but it looks like the finish needs a bit of work.
How far are you rubbing down looks to be about 240 - 300 grit and done with the lathe spinning?

My method is to seal from the skew, then rub down to 600 grit rubbing laterally between grits.
Stop the lathe and rub along the grain then use a finer grit scratch init?
Seal again and go to 1,000 grit, then slap a load of CA on, run indoors have a cuppa then go through the micromesh grits to shine it up.

If you believe you'll believe anything but that's what I tell people to do and it works.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Great selection of pens Tim, agree with others on finish. But that's only a minor thing as you have all the basics spot on.

Some nice pens there Tim. What is the kit second from the left?

I was going to ask the same, it looks like a tycoon top and a traditional body???

It's an executive fountain pen, If I remember rightly its a Dayacom kit. If it isn't one of theirs it's a close copy..

Here you go..

Exective Rollerball &Fountain Pen

Last edited:

Froggy

First Name
Tim
Hi Brian, By the sounds of it I'm getting the finish completely wrong. I sand to 240, as you said, then go straight to the micromesh to 12000 grit and then oil. When the oil has dried a little a put a little CA on. When you say 'slap a load on' what do you class as 'a load?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).