• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Beginner needs advice please

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Hi all,

What a fascinating place you have here, so glad I found it.

I have just inherited a SIP model 01492 lathe that my father used to make lace bobbins for my mum. He has now got to the age where he has decided to stop (84 not too shabby lol).

So, my first question is will this lathe be up to the task of pen turning ? If so how do I find out which mandrel to get ? I have some of the tools that Dad used for the lace bobbins which I hope will still be suitable ?

I would also appreciate some advice regarding books or DVD's that you have found useful for a complete beginner, I did some turning of bowls a long time ago (at school) so to all intents and purposes I am starting from scratch.

All advice gratefully received.

Phill

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Welcome Phill. While your lathe is a little on the small side, I don't doubt that you could turn a mean pen on it. You don't need much equipment to start, just buy a few slimline pen kits to practice with. Trawl our forum as well as IAP's IAP Home. Membership is free and they are loaded with grat tutorials for beginners and experienced folk alike.

The preferred mandrel here seems to be the Planet/Rotur one - don't waste your money on the £60+ one with the extras, just get the mandrel for £20 or thereabouts.

Have fun, and be aware that it is addictive!

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums Phill, i can let you know that this Lathe is certainly up for pen making, but that is about all i know, i am sure others will be along to help ... :bwink:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Welcome mate, the lathe is fine for pen making, but i will guarentee that if you get into it, you will upgrade within the 1st year. Looking forward to seeing you work here in the forums. :thumbs:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Hi Phil and welcome to the madhouse as you say its a great place for a bit of banter and some excellent advise.
I am not the most experienced pen maker here but I do have fun and have picked up more than a clue.
I know your little lathe quiet well and am sure it has a 1mt shaft thats the taper in the headstock in case you don't know.
My recommended buy for a mandrel would be this: Woodturning Lathe NEW COLLETTED universal Deluxe Pen Mandrel - Planet/Rotur -1mt | eBay.
I have one and use it as and when I feel the need.
I can also recommend Helen as a seller although some of the kits leave something to be desired her service is second to none.
Wishing you bundles of joy young man.
Before i found this wonderful forum i too visited the IAP Home but soon outgrew the brown tongues.
I found YouTube to be one of the best sources of instruction.

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
where are you based, as I'm sure that someone would be happy to give you a tutorial if you were close to someone.?

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Are you sure you've made the right decision Phill. Pen making will damage your wallet and the folks on here will do the same to your sanity. When you've spent £800 on unnecessary tools you'll know that your one of us. When you start to agree with George then you're really in trouble. lol

sorry george

Jim

Grand Master
Are you sure you've made the right decision Phill. Pen making will damage your wallet and the folks on here will do the same to your sanity. When you've spent £800 on unnecessary tools you'll know that your one of us. When you start to agree with George then you're really in trouble. lol

sorry george

Funny and true .... :funny::funny::funny:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
where are you based, as I'm sure that someone would be happy to give you a tutorial if you were close to someone.?

Darn, was so excited about getting stuck in should have done an intro, sorry.

Based in Solihull (a Yorkshireman in exile) am 53 married with two young boys 10 and 11.

If someone is near then a tutorial would be amazing, happy to travel a reasonable distance and more than happy to reimburse time with wine, beer or spirits.

Already starting to get a feel for the spirit of the place and it's all good so far !

Thanks to all of you for the welcome.

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member

Based in Solihull (a Yorkshireman in exile) am 53 married with two young boys 10 and 11.

If someone is near then a tutorial would be amazing, happy to travel a reasonable distance and more than happy to reimburse time with wine, beer or spirits.

Already starting to get a feel for the spirit of the place and it's all good so far !

Ahh. well Im sorry I cant help...Dundee aint the closest place to Solihul...
Someone else perhaps?:whistling:

Jim

Grand Master

Na if tha wer still in Yorkshire lad, a cud of elped thee art a bit ... :bwink:

Where abouts in Yorkshire Phill? :thinks:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Welcome to the forum Phil. I am closer than Dundee, but still a bit far away. I am sure someone closer will be able to help.

I agree with George, the new colleted chuck from Rotur is a good choice. Make sure you get one with the correct Morse Taper for your lathe.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Phil , I'm in Basingstoke which is probably he closest to Solihull of us lot. Still a two-hour trip for, though. If you're up for it I'll get my good lady to put e kettle on ...

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).