• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Summat or t'other!

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
No idea what the wood is, or (unusually for me) where I got it from.
The grain has an incredible depth to it, almost holographic, but the camera won't pick it up.

summat_640x163.jpg

summat1_640x147.jpg

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Nice to appreciate a pen made from neat wood Neil looks great b from here I have so many unidentified blanks as well.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
If it's what I think it is Neil, it came from me at York but I have no idea of the species. I have a few blanks and as you say very light, almost like balsa and I found it a bit soft. I thought it was a type of mahogany but I really don't know.
I can post a pic of the blanks to see if you recognize them.

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
If it's what I think it is Neil, it came from me at York but I have no idea of the species. I have a few blanks and as you say very light, almost like balsa and I found it a bit soft. I thought it was a type of mahogany but I really don't know.
I can post a pic of the blanks to see if you recognize them.

The piece I have is just an offcut from somewhere. It is light and soft, as you describe, but the end grain was milled with no ragging.
It can't have come from the York do, as I made a slimline from it in April.

Unknown slim_640x117.jpg

Still would be interested in seeing your blanks though:thinks:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
The piece I have is just an offcut from somewhere. It is light and soft, as you describe, but the end grain was milled with no ragging.
It can't have come from the York do, as I made a slimline from it in April.

View attachment 12897

Still would be interested in seeing your blanks though:thinks:

Shame, I thought I might find out what mine are:funny: i'll dig them out and post a pic over the weekend Neil.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Neil, I've a feeling it may be an offcut from a hardwood door. That is in no way meant to be disparaging.

Hardwood doors used to be made from sapele, but within recent years, they've started to be made from this stuff, and I'm afraid I don't know what it's called. The appearance is exactly as your photos and it has all the characteristics you've described, weight, colour, balsa like qualities, iridescence under the finish etc, etc. and I would put money on your blank being that.

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Confirmed!!!:funny:

whatever it is, it's been made into a gorgeous pen mate:thumbs:

Attachments

• IMG_20141130_092648.jpg
    IMG_20141130_092648.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 12

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Thanks guys.
You're right Phil!
Just got a positive ID from an institute member, it's Meranti:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).