• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Two new segmented pens

wood128

Apprentice Member
The first pen is a Cigar Style with curly maple bottom segment and a black walnut top segment. Segmented is a cross made from three pieces of veneer white/red/white.

The second pen is a Sierra Style with spiral segmented wood pieces. The segmented wood wafers are glued together in a clockwise spiral , then half way the rotation is reversed to counterclockwise . ...............................The photo is to small!!!

Finish on both pens is 6 coats of poly .....sanding between each coat.

Any comments.......................THIS IS MY FIRST POST !!!!!!!

Joe .........USA

Attachments

• phpohXSHYAM.jpg
    phpohXSHYAM.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 41
  • seg%20sierra%20013%20-%20Copy.JPG
    seg%20sierra%20013%20-%20Copy.JPG
    1.7 KB · Views: 40

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
Lovely Pens, just wish I could see the segmenting on the second one better.. It looks really nice.. :thumbs:

wood128

Apprentice Member
Two New Segmented pens

Here is a larger picture.

Attachments

• phpTMRDVpAM.jpg
    phpTMRDVpAM.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 38

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Lovely pens, Joe! Nicely finished, too. If you're going to make another of the segmented spiral blanks, some step-by-step photos would be much appreciated!

Jim

Grand Master
Right up my street Joe, i love segmenting pens, both pens look very nice but i love the Sierra due to the pattern and wood selection, and i know the time you would have spent on making this pen... :bwink:
Welcome to the forums also Joe ... :thumbs:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Very nice pens mate, what material is the red in the segmented sierra, it really stands out. :thumbs:

wood128

Apprentice Member
Thanks for all the kind words. I will attempt to briefly describe the construction of each pen.
THE CROSS PEN
I use a MicroMart small model makers table saw with sharp blade. Using a block of wood 7/8 " X 7/8" square ( walnut ) I first cut the horizontal slot for the cross about 1/4 " deep , then glue in the three pieces of veneer ( white/red/white )
Then I cut off both ends of the block , top and bottom of the cross .
Setting the rip fence of the saw to cut the center of the block, I cut this slot ripping the piece at 1/4 " depth.Then fill the vertical slot with the same combination of white/red/white veneer.
THe final step is to glue back the top and bottom ends of the blank and clamp solidly . I use Titebond translucent glue ....no glue line.
Works best with darker woods to hide the saw cuts.

SEGMENTED SPIRAL BLANK
I glue up pieces of contrasting woods to make stock 1 1/8 " X 1 1/8 " x 12 " square . Many combinations here .......no two pieces alike !!!
Turn on the lathe to make a 1" dowel.
Using my same table saw and stop set to cut pieces 1/8 " thick, crosscut the dowel and make 34 pieces plus 3 pieces of a solid wood 1/4 " thick for center and both ends of the pen blank.
The pieces of dowel are glued together by hand ( Titebond translucent glue ) rotating each piece as desired in the spiral pattern. I camp together 8 pieces at a time .
The finished product can be turned on the lathe to 7/8 " dia X 5 " long.
The woods I prefer using are walnut, rosewood, maple, red cedar, red flame box elder, padauk , redheart, purpleheart, mahogany , poplar and oak.
Hope this helps. Any questions I would be happy to answer.
I have been making and selling a few segmented blanks for 5 years now .........mostly the spiral blanks, brick pattern, celtic knots , 360 degree herringbone pattern and diamond/circle pattern .
I will try to list a few for sale with pictures on the Fore Sale Forum .
:rolling: Joe

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for that Joe, i would have never had guessed what you did with the Walnut blank ... I can't see the witness mark at all ... :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).