• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Multi hued yew on Sierra.

Paul

Fellow
My real opportunity to get into the shed since the lad was born in months.

I went through 2 better blanks which exploded, but I'm glad I kept going. Had to keep it fat so it didn't expload either.

The range of colours is just great.

Yew finished with sanding sealer and wax

image.jpg

View attachment 12937

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
That pen sure looks good Paul I like the colour changes from cream to to red well worth the effort

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
That's a nice piece of yew Paul the contrast of sap & heartwood is nice. It's fatter than I make mine, I try to follow the profile of the nib to the middle of the blank then profile down to the clip.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Amazing colours in that wood.
You never know what it will be like until you call the finish to it init?

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
A lovely piece of wood with a fabulous contrast of heart and sap wood. Nice one :thumbs:

Paul

Fellow
That's a nice piece of yew Paul the contrast of sap & heartwood is nice. It's fatter than I make mine, I try to follow the profile of the nib to the middle of the blank then profile down to the clip.

That's a great tip thanks. Having lost two ( one is the rest for the pen ) the wood said stop and you can see it's getting punky on the sap. But yeah a thin version would be better.

I will try and use your guide next time. Thanks.

Jim

Grand Master
Pleased that this one didn't blow on you Paul, it has some great colouring and grain to it .. A very nice pen indeed .. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).