• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My first "metal" pen

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
After a dramatic failure of my closed pen attempt i turned my attention to an aluminium slimline I started many months ago.
Not completely happy but satisfied as a first attempt and a great learning experience.

Sorry for the crap photo.

Attachments

• Alu pen 2.jpg
    Alu pen 2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 133

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
That is very nice Bob, I did one of these a while ago and know just how hard it can be. You've made a great job of it. :thumbs:

I also had a go with a piece of copper which was much easier.

Jim

Grand Master
I like it Bob, and hopefully one day i can have a go at one of these .. :thumbs:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Really nice shape and looks well. :thumbs: done a few of theese over the years.

Only prob with Ali is the finish, what have you used on yours?

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Back of the net young man. This is a cracking pen Bob. With regatds to the photo, I actually like it a lot. Can't stop looking at the shadow the pen casts on the curved stand.:thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Just seen this love it Bob love it mate bloody well done I have done quite a few metal pens in my time mainly J/G and sierras hardedr than wood but I bet you found it very satisfying try brass next time

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Thanks for the kind comments fellas.

I have done quite a few metal pens in my time mainly J/G and sierras hardedr than wood but I bet you found it very satisfying try brass next time

I bought one of your brass JRs at York Woody, It's on my desk and in use. Something I aspire to making in the future:thumbs: I like the sound of Pauls copper pen as well!

I drilled the aluminium intending not to use tubes but decided the finish was too rough and the mechanism would stick fast to the top section. Too much work to get it smooth IMO so re drilled and fitted tubes.
I haven't applied a finish except a top coat of wax as I looked at the pen as a learning project rather than finished piece. Did think about CA finish or acrylic laquer but don't know if either would work. What do other members use?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I only ever used metal compounds on a buffing wheel and polish I don't like lacquer type finishes on metal as they do wear and then they look bloody awful I just give them a quick polish with a auto polish every now and then I got some copper rod about a year ago to make a pen and some bullet tips but just haven't got around to it yet

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Thanks for the kind comments fellas.

I bought one of your brass JRs at York Woody, It's on my desk and in use. Something I aspire to making in the future:thumbs: I like the sound of Pauls copper pen as well!

I drilled the aluminium intending not to use tubes but decided the finish was too rough and the mechanism would stick fast to the top section. Too much work to get it smooth IMO so re drilled and fitted tubes.
I haven't applied a finish except a top coat of wax as I looked at the pen as a learning project rather than finished piece. Did think about CA finish or acrylic laquer but don't know if either would work. What do other members use?

I use buffing compounds and the brass and aluminium pens are still looking as good now as when I buffed them.

Peter

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
A very nice pen Bob, it looks very well made.:thumbs:
Quite a few years ago now I used to work aluminium sheeting to make front panels for amps & switch control panels & after finishing the buffing the Ali could still cast its coat & leave your fingers black & you could leave a fingerprint on the polished Ali which was a devil to remove.
I started to use this method which sealed the Ali & put a skin on it to stop it shedding & picking up fingerprints. Boil a pan of water & add a spoonful of washing soda, which you can still buy, & submerge your piece for a while. Not sure now just how long I left it in but you can try samples for varying times, 5-10 mins & adjust from there.
Don't fill your pan too full of water because when you add the washing soda it can froth up & the wife won't be too happy if you make a mess.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
A very nice pen Bob, it looks very well made.:thumbs:
Quite a few years ago now I used to work aluminium sheeting to make front panels for amps & switch control panels & after finishing the buffing the Ali could still cast its coat & leave your fingers black & you could leave a fingerprint on the polished Ali which was a devil to remove.
I started to use this method which sealed the Ali & put a skin on it to stop it shedding & picking up fingerprints. Boil a pan of water & add a spoonful of washing soda, which you can still buy, & submerge your piece for a while. Not sure now just how long I left it in but you can try samples for varying times, 5-10 mins & adjust from there.
Don't fill your pan too full of water because when you add the washing soda it can froth up & the wife won't be too happy if you make a mess.

Bill, are you sure that it was washing soda? WS attacks aluminium, it is great used with aluminium foil to clean tarnished silver, but it doesn't do much for the foil.

Peter

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
It's what I used Peter. It was years ago but I'm pretty sure it was. I still have some washing soda so I'll do a trial run to make sure & report back.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).