• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Help with sharpening Robert Sorby Micro Pen Turning Set

Penfold

Hi

Could anyone give me some advise on sharpening the Robert Sorby Micro Pen Turning Set with the Tormek T-7 Sharpening system & TNT-708 Woodturners accessory kit, I have been trying to get this right, but just doesn't seem to happen, I am visually impaired, so find this quite hard anyway, if anyone knows the settings I need, thank you.

David

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Only for the sake of giving a reply.
I am afraid I cant help you on this query David.
I hone all my tools by hand and have develope a feel for it as much as using sight, due to the fact its often dark or half light when i do it.
In the short time I have been on this forum I reckon Walter would be able to guide you in the right direction for your quest.
Have you tried a google search for the settings? I did a quicky in my lunch break and ther seems to be an abundnce of info on the system. you could start here.
Tormek T-7 Grinding Machine
I hope you get your answer.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Thanks for the vote of confidence George, but I don't use the smaller tools so I am probably not going to be much help.

However, if I am not mistaken the kit consists of a spindlemaster a roughing gouge and a parting tool.

The spindlemaster is sharpened by polishing the straight face on a flat sharpening surface link to instructions for spindlemaster So you don't need the Tormek for that at all.

The roughing gouge will need to be sharpened using the SVS50 multi-jig. The instructions for this are in the manual supplied with the machine. If you don't have a manual you can download it from the Tormek website but you will need to register.

I just sharpen parting tools freehand without a jig so i can't help you there.

naxie

Registered
Not sure if it's any help to you David, but here is a handy guide to grinding different profiles and the settings to use on the Tormek.

I have recently acquired a T3 but not had chance to play with it yet, so I might need some advice too! :whistling:

Attachments

• Tormek Turning Tools.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 9

naxie

Registered
:thumbs: Thanks for the link Walter, I have one of those arriving tomorrow, now I can read up and be prepared!

I haven't used mine yet as I had a load of various old jigs to go through before I could work out what I actually needed. I have knocked up a revolving platform for it today out of an old lazy Susan bearing and some ply, I'll be damned if I'm paying £45.00 for the Tormek one.:nonono:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I have knocked up a revolving platform for it today out of an old lazy Susan bearing and some ply, I'll be damned if I'm paying £45.00 for the Tormek one.:nonono:

I am even meaner than that, I just pick the thing up and turn it around.
bah_humbug_scrooge-1778.gif

Jim

Grand Master
Hi

Could anyone give me some advise on sharpening the Robert Sorby Micro Pen Turning Set with the Tormek T-7 Sharpening system & TNT-708 Woodturners accessory kit

I can't help you with your question David as i have not used a Tormek, but i wouldn't mind one ... :whistling:

Penfold

Robert Sorby Modular Micro Spindle Set and Pen Turning Set.

I just can't get the sharpening on these right, so I'm thinking of selling both sets and getting full size set instead.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).