• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Waddy Wood

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Another rare Australian Acacia Peuce only found in three main locations this threatened species lives about 500 yrs displays colour and mystery it grows around 500 yrs and is the heaviest wood in the world I have more and varied blanks finished collecting this timber in blank form just last year. You never know how it will turn down where the colour begins and ends part of the thrill of the chasing turn process.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 56

Paul

Fellow
Stunner peter. You have clearly respected the wood of such a long living tree in your turning.

Since it's rare do you collect the wood from waste or was the tree harvested etc?

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Peter mate, this is a real beaut. I love timber that is truly a mystery, and indeed the anticipation of turning it. Sometimes no surprise but a bad one awaits, but other times, like here, it's well worth a go. Nice one mate:thumbs:

Treeesa

Graduate Member
First Name
Andy
Amazing bit of wood Peter. I love those Aussise woods and Burls - I'll get a bollo**ing on here for saying Burl instead of Burr !!! But I'll crack open a tinnie and get over it :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
A cracking piece of wood Peter, and a beautifully shaped pen .. :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Stunner peter. You have clearly respected the wood of such a long living tree in your turning.

Since it's rare do you collect the wood from waste or was the tree harvested etc?

Collected by a member of the world wood collectors group with integrity and care from dead wood because he knows and he is around my age his collecting is near ending now this last lot took me 12 mths waiting. Knowing I do Slimlines he will often couple two blanks from different pieces and band them together it has been a trust friendship on a paying basis he certainly has his costs and in cutting selectivity. The turning process is the nearest I will ever come to gambling thus every pen becomes a one off. No its not waste but chosen in respect of the owners who are paid also.

Peter.:thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Amazing bit of wood Peter. I love those Aussise woods and Burls - I'll get a bollo**ing on here for saying Burl instead of Burr !!! But I'll crack open a tinnie and get over it :thumbs:

I continue to speak my way with no inferences in spelling etc using terms I am familiar with neither claiming correctness keeping in mind I do the same with all members trying never to get into semantics or wasted time over how well anyone speaks but concerned with intent. Penmaking etc is my passion. It seems we all share love of great timber. My Lawyer mate prefaced all his remarks( with respect) I have for others terms dont share the same ones always Viva La Difference. I remember clearly having a great conversation with a German in Stuttgart who was trimming his Bulls hooves with an angle grinder in the middle of the city outside his big barn, he had no English I had no German but the sharing was obvious and friendly with pointing waiving smiling ie face to face on this forum we have to read between the lines and form our own opinions reason I always try to use pics where I can and use my own way of saying what moves me.

I love Australian timbers and timbers from other countries as well.

Have a gaze at my new Avatar even though its small it is an artist having fun with things I hold dear its not a true coat of arms.

The Kangaroo and Emu native to Australia on the top of the shield a Frog Frill Necked Lizard an Echidna in the shield top row a White Cockatoo Koala Bear and a Kookaburra. Bottom Row A Possum Platypus and an imported so long ago Rabbit.

My attempt to share my country with all of you in a fun way.
Peter:thumbs::thumbs:.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Strewth, Peter, if you show us any more lovely wood I'm gonna have to move to Oz, mate! Thanks for showing a really nice pen!

Bob.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).