• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Gutted and lesson learnt.

Pete B

Registered
Elm.JPG

I have been watching a pallet of burr elm for a few days, waiting until the last few minutes to pounce.
It was described as full of burr. I have had this before and been let down and returned timber.
But even so there was an awful lot of timber and even if half were spindles and not slabs still worth buying.
I forgot and was distracted for the last three hours before the hammer went down.
£110 it went for, £110 !! i was going to raid the piggy bank and pay up to £200 and i thought i might not get it for that.
Still lesson learnt, do not be distracted when the boss lady tells you about works, holidays, house, when there is timber to be bid on.

Pete

ps if someone on here bought it good luck and well done, but i'm still gutted

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
You have my sympathy Pete, it is annoying when you miss out like that.

I have never seen the point of waiting until the last minute to bid on online auctions. If you are prepared to pay £200 then just place a maximum bid of that and hope it goes for less. There is also less temptation to keep upping your bid and ending up paying more than you intended if you just place the bid and forget about it.

Walter

Jim

Grand Master
Unlucky Pete, this certainly can go down as the one that got away, £200 would have been a bargain ... :bwink:

Pete B

Registered
Hi Walter,
it was fleabay.
The trouble is if i was to have bid say £200, others would have possibly kept bidding up to that amount and higher.
Also sellers often bid their own stuff up, ebay know, it thinks it illegal, its against their rules but they don't care as higher prices mean more profits as the seller fees are a percentage of the sale price.
I complained once and just repeatedly got waffle.
They even let you make an auction private so no one can see exactly who's bidding.
If i had bid £200 in the last 30 seconds and the current highest bidder had bid £120, they would not have had time to bid higher and i would have won at £121.
You can get software to do it for you, i don't use it but you can tell in the last few seconds as the countdown in seconds stutters and pauses slightly.

It was a bargain though even factoring in a pallet at about £50 plus vat.

Pete

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).