• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

amboyna fountain pen

its_virgil

Apprentice Member
First Name
Don
Several days back I posted a shaving brush and razor made from a piece of amboyna burl I'd been given several years ago and has been migrating around my shop since. Anyway, this pen was made from a couple of the scraps that were left over. The pen is the Streamline El Grande fountain pen with a hesitance nib upgrade. Enjoy and comments welcome. Yes, I know, the cap is not screwed on completely but I did not want to rephotograph the pen.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 71

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
That is a lovely piece of wood Don, you've turned and finished it very nicely. I quite like the kit except for the markings on the centre band which might look better in hand. :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Special piece of Burl Don substantial kit belies its name very suitable a mans pen IMHO the body of the pen is continuous with strength, Well made and pesented.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs::camera::whistler::whistler:

its_virgil

Apprentice Member
First Name
Don
Thanks for the comments. The cap has two different size tubes...larger one at the CB end and smaller one at the cap end which allows for the cap's shape. This kit, the streamline el grande and the regular el grande get a lot of bad raps for the plastic but I don't hear the same comments about some of the commercially made pens that sell for several hundred dollars that have just as much or even more plastics. Just saying. Not trying to start an argument. We all are entitled to our opinions. Thanks again for all of the comments.

MY next thing to try is to replace the gold metal ring on the CB with matching wood. It will be very thin. we'll see if I can do it.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Thanks for the comments. The cap has two different size tubes...larger one at the CB end and smaller one at the cap end which allows for the cap's shape. This kit, the streamline el grande and the regular el grande get a lot of bad raps for the plastic but I don't hear the same comments about some of the commercially made pens that sell for several hundred dollars that have just as much or even more plastics. Just saying. Not trying to start an argument. We all are entitled to our opinions.

Don,

Interesting comparison, you are right that many commercially available pens do indeed have plastic, perhaps that which influences my thoughts is that the commercially available pens are made all from plastics or man made materials, maybe it is because the expectation of a hand made wooden pen does not, in my mind, include plastic. Metal and wood are a very successful architectural combination and whether it's mental conditioning or whatever, the quality of the plastic is not something I like, in my opinion it cheapens the pen.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Can't go wrong with Amboyna, it's a cracker.

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Bugger Neil has beat me to it init?
And I say the same for the so called high end kits but you all know what I think and I don't matter.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
you all know what I think and I don't matter.

What you think matters just as much as what anyone else thinks. If everyone thought the same this would just become a mutual admiration society and that would be boring.

Anyway, I think the amboyna makes for a fine pen regardless of what anyone thinks of the kit. For what it's worth I am not that keen on the kit either but the fit and finish are first class and the overall impression is of quality workmanship. A nicer kit would have made it better still.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).