• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hollowing lesson

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I popped in at Stevenage today on my way to Aldershot.
Had a lesson on hollowing with a friendly Turner name of Brian.
He started me off on this saying if I can make a job of softwood then I can handle anything.
It started out as a 4" fence post 8" long, turned between centers to put a spigot on one end and shape the outside, then put the spigot in a chuck to do the hollowing.
Hollowed 6" in depth then parted off the spigot to a 1" base so hopefully it wont shrink and crack.
The knot popped out adding character to it, still rustic looking and very much unfinished but I can do the rest by hand at home.
Took me about 2 hrs under instruction which was all the time I had spare today.
It may not look much to you but I am so chuffed I took this pic to show it off.
My first pot hollow 150mm deep and 3mm wall thickness all the way down.
I have absolutely no use for it but will polish it up and put it on the windowsill to accumulate some dust and junk in it.
Can't wait to get another go he has some zebrano 4" square for me to tackle next.
P1070542.resized.JPG

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Brian.. Stevenage... Can only be one man answering to that description with a lathe in Stevenage!!

George, you missed me by three miles!

Attachments

• Warming Chamber Set Up.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
[
George, you missed me by three miles!

Phew, Brian says I had a lucky escape LOL.:mooney2:

Hope to meet you at Henley on Thames today or tomorrow, it's not looking likely at the moment though rather busy in the barracks.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).