• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Panga Panga Wood

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Recent discussions on Panga Panga Wood or millettia stuhinamii and almost Identical wood same family millettia laurentii or Wenge.

Beautiful timbers when used in furniture work however they have Silica crystals in abundance also a variant toughness in the darker parts and the lighter one making it difficult to finish ( needs filling) tough timbers. Rarish timber.

It reminds me of another similar in appearance that I bought from Hawaii called Cassia a proper mongrel to finish a common name also is Pheasant Wood ( striking grain) another coarse pretty grain hard to work as well. Then my pet avoidance Black Palm.

The Panga Panga comes from Mosambique is now a restricted product. Lots of hard work I will be interested when Pens are made from this timber.

PS I used to seek out Wenge for pens I avoid it these days. By the way I have a fine furniture designer maker who makes exquisite pieces from Wenge.

Peter.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).