• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Brown mallee burl

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
In among my blanks of the Brown Mallee Burl there are vast differences where they are harvested from this is one such variation. It overall is the most pleasant timber to cut dry and turn having cut the blank from a large Burl it dries stable and rarely breaks up in turning.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs:

Attachments

• DSCF0026.JPG
    DSCF0026.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF0032.JPG
    DSCF0032.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF0027.JPG
    DSCF0027.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF0028.JPG
    DSCF0028.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF0030.JPG
    DSCF0030.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF0031.JPG
    DSCF0031.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 55

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Another cracker of a pen with your native wood Peter :thumbs:

Alanp

Registered
First Name
ALAN
A lovely pen and piece of timber you are so lucky to have all these nice woods in oz :thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Perfection Peter we always know when you post a pen without reading a word by your outstanding style and finish love it mate just love it

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I have in mind to gather a number of blanks of Brown Mallee Burl and take some pics to illustrate the differences its astounding, then when they are turned they flash from exotic to mundane and back again every one a surprise, pen turning is like that for me the part that says have a go find the hidden beauty then there are three pens every time IMHO the one you prepared the one you made and the one you wished you made. Of course theres the time factor but I will start the journey.

What started this sort of obsession I have related before I sold at my cost two thousand Brown Mallee Burl blanks from my mate the cutter gatherer lost out naturally with the extra handling costs sold them in groups of nine hand selected and rejected all splits inferior rubbish through the U Beaut Forum I bought couple of hundred myself ( obsession personified). When I commenced I went back and forth to my mate then he loaded them all onto my trailer and as I sold them I gave him the money.

Part of the fun.

Peter.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).