• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Nibs for Omega

mickleuk

First Name
Mike
I've been asked to supply a wider nib on an Omega, as I'm not 100% sure of sizes I'm looking for, or where to buy them, I wondered if any of you gentlemen could point me in the right direction.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I'm pretty sure without looking that its a size 5 in the Omega. I have some size 6 and the feed but I'm not sure if it'll fit in the Omega. I'll have a look later.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I've taken the nib out and as far as my knowledge goes and with testing it out with the nibs, housings and feeds I've got, it can't be done. To increase the nib size I would have to increase the feed size which means I would have to increase the housing and that housing doesn't fit inside the chrome Omega housing.

If there is another way I would be very interested to find out how.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I've been asked to supply a wider nib on an Omega, as I'm not 100% sure of sizes I'm looking for, or where to buy them, I wondered if any of you gentlemen could point me in the right direction.

When you say a wider nib, do you mean a broader writing tip or a wider nib itself?

Peter

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I've taken the nib out and as far as my knowledge goes and with testing it out with the nibs, housings and feeds I've got, it can't be done. To increase the nib size I would have to increase the feed size which means I would have to increase the housing and that housing doesn't fit inside the chrome Omega housing.

If there is another way I would be very interested to find out how.

As Pual says, a 5mm feed (which is what the Omega uses) has a predefined width across the wings for the nib. If you put a 'wider' nib on the cap would foul on it as the cap tube is just about wide enough to accept the standard between-wings width. Among other problems you would experience ... Now a 'Broad' nib (i.e. one which lays down a wider line on the paper) - that's easily done. Pete B supplies Jowo as has already been mentioned, or you can get Bock nibs from Starbond Europa in Deutschland. Not easy to deal with, but their stuff is mint. Anything BUT the Feder 250 is 5mm if I remember correctly.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Please enlighten me more on nibs i.e. to get thicker or thinner lines.

:thinks::thinks::thinks::thinks:

You can get nibs that are fine, medium or broad tipped as well as italic and a couple of variants.

Peter

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Sorry............. I meant broader........... DOH!

No problem mate! Most german nib suppliers use F, M, B and some esoterica beyond B. Kit nibs aren't easily classified but you can assume an M for most of them. So a B nib should lay down a broader line on the paper. If a B doesn't do it for you you could try 'tuning' the nib yourself - not for the fainthearted - or go to one of the italics. They have very wide nibs (1.1 - 1.9 for the 5mm Bocks) but also are cut across at an angle so can be harder to use. All good fun!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).