• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Jig for cutting blanks on mitre saw

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Someone on facebook was asking about this PSI jig for cutting pen blanks to length. Seems to be designed for a mitre saw but would probably work with a bandsaw or table saw.

Now I cut my blanks on the band saw using the mitre guide supplied with the machine and see no reason to change, but looking at the price of the PSI jig I thought I could make something similar that might give someone some ideas for a jig of their own. This took me about an hour to make with stuff I had lying around the workshop.

I will probably not use it although I may modify and refine it to use with the bandsaw but I have posted it here just in case anyone finds it useful as a starting point to design your own jig. (if you think you need one - which you probably don't) If you do make one remember to design it so that it cuts the blank a fraction long for trimmimg.

10903957_786120554757014_8109565369109276924_o by walter.hall, on Flickr

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
I started making one of these about a year ago and never finished it job for tomorrow

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Thanks for showing it Walter, I have in my mind there is no such thing as a bad jig if it works and makes life easier.
I don't feel the need for one but it may well help some init?

Jim

Grand Master
That is a handy jig to have Walter .. On any of the cutting machines .. :thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thats a super jig Walter but like you its all done on the band saw with the fence so I dont' need one. :thumbs:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Well thought out and made Walter, couldn't be anything but that of course!
I could easily find myself copying that but like the other jigs i made when I first started pens it would end up in the back of a cupboard.
Useful for someone though:thumbs:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I don't like cutting small pieces of timber on what are fairly agricultural unrefined saws. I've had a few scary moments where the saw has picked up the cut length and propelled it in my general direction.

To say that this concept is a sledge hammer to crack a nut is an understatement! I have used a hand propelled mitre saw which is, I think, more appropriate for cutting the blanks with almost equal speed. If this contraption from psi works for anyone, that's fine, but to me it's a jig for jigs sake.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I don't like cutting small pieces of timber on what are fairly agricultural unrefined saws. I've had a few scary moments where the saw has picked up the cut length and propelled it in my general direction.

To say that this concept is a sledge hammer to crack a nut is an understatement! I have used a hand propelled mitre saw which is, I think, more appropriate for cutting the blanks with almost equal speed. If this contraption from psi works for anyone, that's fine, but to me it's a jig for jigs sake.

Overall I tend to agree Neil, but I thought someone might find it useful. I certainly wouldn't spend $30 plus shipping etc on the PSI version.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).