• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Yellow Box Burl

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
THe Yellow Box trees grow to massive sizes we have a lot here where I live as street trees (mistake) they like all Eucs shed leaves branches etc 24/7 but they are beautiful. Excellent burning wood as well. Tight tough timber good work out splitting this stuff, these days with pneumatic splitters still a workout. The Burl form is rareish.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs:

Attachments

• DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF0009.JPG
    DSCF0009.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 76

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
A cracking bit of timber mate and a cracker of a pen. Love the swirls in the grain pattern. The texture reminds me of Elm. :thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thats a lovely pen Peter, you have the best woods in Aus, I'm going to have to get a container sorted out :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Thats a lovely pen Peter, you have the best woods in Aus, I'm going to have to get a container sorted out :thumbs:

It seems available in the UK Paul, the prices quoted from time to time seem very reasonable to me with all the kerfuffle involved. It would appear timber comes and goes in popularity and where to get such as Russian Burl. A flood then? George must have offcuts in quantity where are the burls they cut from?

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).