• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Trustone pens

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Be it trustone, Yunstone or cloud stone I do enjoy turning this stuff in fact I could turn it all day so we have today a few of David's tamer colours as I said before these blanks are a bit harder than gemstone so out come the trusty carbide tip tool I would say if you can turn corian then you should be able to handle this stuff drilling on the lathe was a breeze but I think it is best to cut the blank to long and only drill as far as needed with out exiting the working end of the pen I just went straight in with 15/32" and the cap end I first used the same drill bit then the 25/642 without exiting and cut the extra bit off after I'm not sure if you need to do that but at these prices I thought it best to edge on the side of caution.
I only turned one half at a time to save putting a lot of pressure on the mandrel I have included a photo of one bit straight of the tool and started sanding at 320 grit to 600 grit and finished of with 1,000,1,200 and 1,500 W & D and polished them with Autoglym from Halfords the finished weight of the pen is 50 grams and when finished it feels like marble I think these two make nice man's pens by the way the loud coloured pen I made last week our daughter fell in love with it so I no longer have it LOL enjoy
The chocolate brown one has some very fine lines running through it if you take a close look you may see them
DSCF1505.JPGDSCF1512.JPGDSCF1509.JPGDSCF1514.JPGDSCF1515.JPGDSCF1516.JPG

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Lovely blanks, especially the yellow, great looking pens.

Peter

Jim

Grand Master
I like these also Woody, especially the Yellow one as it is a colour rarely seen on pens .. Makes it that tad more unique .. :thumbs:

I found out the hard way when turning trustone, don't leave any deposit in the tubes, they have a good chance of cracking on assembly .. :whistling:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Very nice Woody. I always thought you could turn anything... but a bannana... Lovely stuff :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).