• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Live Centre or Mandrel saver

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Hi all,

Looking at my inherited SIP lathe and tidying it up a bit, I noticed the live centre isn't that great and will need replacing at some point.

So, given that situation would you get another live centre or would you go for a mandrel saver ?

Any recommendations for manufacturers / suppliers for your choice would be great.

Ta

Phill

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Phil, I've never used a mandrel saver so can't comment on that option. However, if you want to turn between centres at any point (reduces wobble and out-of-round tubes) you'll need a decent live centre.

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
i have a mandrel save and only use it for 7mm tube and all the rest between centers

Jim

Grand Master
Phil, I've never used a mandrel saver so can't comment on that option. However, if you want to turn between centres at any point (reduces wobble and out-of-round tubes) you'll need a decent live centre.

I have never used a mandrel saver either, but i echo what David says ... :bwink:

ColWA

Apprentice Member
Mandrel saver for sure if you are making pens.You will need a live centre for other spindle work.

COl

Kenny Brown

Registered
Phil,
Mandrel saver for all my pens. Accurate and saves time. Got mine from USA through Amazon for about half the e bay price.
Regards, Kenny

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Couple of suggestions from me.

The Mandrel Saver from Craft Supplies the black part encloses the Bearing the angled part sleeves snug to the Mandrel and the two morse taper part into the Tail Stock, I cut off the threaded end of the mandrel cause the thread is undersize of the shaft.

Using any or this style Live Centre with a removable parrallel shaft insert turn a brass sleeve as an insert with a close fit 3/8 inch deep hole to hold the mandrel making your own Mandrel Saver.

Have fun I do.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• 368328588c.jpg
    368328588c.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 687905425s.jpg
    687905425s.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 26
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).