• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Another newbie!!!

melissa

Registered
Hi everyone,

yes, you've got another new member to the penturners... well I haven't quite began my new hobby yet!

Looking around the site, you guys are really talented!

My dad has recently set me a challenge. He was given a mont blanc pen as a gift from work which he LOVES! however, I tried it and it felt like I was trying to write with a Stanley knife! So he said "go on, you do better!"

:thinks: ...... so im going to try!

You can never have enough hobbies hey!? :thumbs:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Welcome Melissa! A montblanc, eh? Well, you don't half set your sights high! No harm in that - Shoot for the Moon, if you miss you'll get the Earth.

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums Melissa, look forward to seeing the pen you intend making for your Father ... :thumbs:

Pete B

Registered
Hi Melissa,
welcome forum me too its very helpful and friendly here.
The mont blanc, did it feel scratchy and not smooth to write with ?
If so its easy to fix, just point the nib at you so you can see the tip clearly from the front, you want to look through a jewellers loupe or magnifyling glass or even spectacles used like a magnifying glass.
you want to see the very point, the iridium tip to see if its aligned correctly. It should look like this. Like to two 'D's back to back but level.
tines.jpg
If there not aligned and are really out, carefully push one side at a time with a fingernail until they are aligned.
This might help.
As does doing figure of eights on 9000 grit mylar paper, you don't need to do many, but use differing angles. It just smooths the nib.
Hope this helps.I'm no expert but this is what i do with every fountain pen i make just to make sure they are not scratchy.

Pete

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Welcome from Eastern Australia as a joke first present your Dad with a Stanley Knife when you have made his Pen carefully wrapped in a large Box so your pen will look incredible compared with the knife. We have 5 girls and a so ourselves enjoy the banter.

Kind regards Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).