• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Offcuts

MikeD

Registered
Over time I have collected a box full of offcuts from pen blanks. These are made from a large variety of different woods and acrylics, each offcut is about one inch to one and a half inches long (25mm to 37 mm). I have used some to produce centre bands but the quantity still increases :thinks:

I am thinking about encapsulating a load of them using clear casting resin and then making a shallow bowl of platter.

What do you do with your offcuts?

Regards

Mike

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Over time I have collected a box full of offcuts from pen blanks. These are made from a large variety of different woods and acrylics, each offcut is about one inch to one and a half inches long (25mm to 37 mm). I have used some to produce centre bands but the quantity still increases :thinks:

I am thinking about encapsulating a load of them using clear casting resin and then making a shallow bowl of platter.

What do you do with your offcuts?

Regards

Mike

it depend how big most go to fire but some end up in a box of many bits (it a big box)

Jim

Grand Master
I use them for segmented pens or centre bands... :whistling:

I do the same, and these make some lovely looking pens ... Thou i have never given a thought about making anything else Mike ... Now my mind boggles with your idea ... :bwink:

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Hi Mike,

When I cast a few blanks I pour the left over resin in a plastic cup if there is enough resin I bury some of my offcuts in it. This when it gets big/long enough could be quite interesting turning, planning to make these blanks into multi-coloured salt/pepper shakers. What do you think?:thinks:

Rowdy

MikeD

Registered
Rowdy, that's a good idea - may well try that as well.

I've been thinking how I could combine these offcuts to make bowl blanks. Thinking so far I am considering turning a bit of scrap wood with steps to make a former. On each step I would place a variety of offcuts and then pour the resin on top, retaining the resin with a surrounding wall. The advantage of this would be to increase the depth of the bowl blank. I could then turn away the scrap wood former leaving a dish shaped encapsulated collection of offcuts :thinks:

Jim

Grand Master
Rowdy, that's a good idea - may well try that as well.

I've been thinking how I could combine these offcuts to make bowl blanks. Thinking so far I am considering turning a bit of scrap wood with steps to make a former. On each step I would place a variety of offcuts and then pour the resin on top, retaining the resin with a surrounding wall. The advantage of this would be to increase the depth of the bowl blank. I could then turn away the scrap wood former leaving a dish shaped encapsulated collection of offcuts :thinks:

It would be great to see this Mike, i am sure others will follow if you could get this project started ... :bwink:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
The wife raided my off cut box for a pen comp on another forum, well she had the idea for the pen and I had to do as I was told. :goesred:
Recently the last lot of resin I made, she got a heap of of cuts and and put them in a mold cast them the resin.

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Hi MikeD

If you do the bowl I would like to see the photos, in my minds eye this could be brilliant. I need to learn a bit about bowl turning soon and then I may have a go..

Rowdy
:thumbs:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Would you have to throw all the offcuts in the resin all at one go, or can you add a little each day or every 2 days etc. :thinks:

MikeD

Registered
I use an unsaturated polyester clear casting resin, Reichhold Polylite 32032-00
It is a two part mix and is low exothermic i.e. it does not heat up too much as it cures. By experimenting with the ratio of hardener it is possible to slow down the rate of curing and hence the heat produced. I have found that slowing down the process tends to reduce shrinkage and stress lines in the cured resin. There is a balance however as too little hardener means the cured resin can remain sticky

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).