• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

The magic of burl wood

RodN

First Name
Rod
2004set-b.jpg

Thuya Burl

2004set-a.jpg

Gold plated desk set (Senior pens)

2090-bsnr-amboyna1.jpg

AAA Grade Amboyna Burl - Senior Desk pens in Rhodium

2090-bsnr-amboyna2.jpg

(The rollerball pen has two very fine grooves in the cap and the body to identify it, and not mix up the caps)

2090-bsnr-amboyna3.jpg

Rod

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Blimey I see spots before my eyes.
Too much beauty in one place is confusing me init?

RodN

First Name
Rod
Wow ... just wow!

How did you finish the pen box, Rod? I love the glass-smooth finish.

Hut Crystal Coat. (shellac and carnauba wax). With good surface preparation. That's the key to any decent finish.
The same finish as the pens. I never use CA finish by the way..... that's OK for the Americans who like wood (and everything else) that looks like shiny glaze plastic, but not for me.

I much prefer wood to look like.... polished wood. :thinks:

Rod

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
rod I tried to ring you twice now realised the first time that it was 10 pm your time for example right now its 6.15 am on Saturday the 24th.

What I had to say is beaut burl abounds in this country and here today you show that georgeous Thuya and Amboyna you have easy access to Italian Briar easy distance from magnificent Olive and so on. I have two sticks they weigh around 800 grams each I have been saving of chockas Brown Mallee Burl that I bought from my mate a Burl Getter that were part of a shipment years ago to be 18 inch sticks for making pool cues now switching to metric one in front of me is 38mm by 37 mm in fact I just bashed off a couple of pics on the kitchen table not right now nor did I intend to send you the whole sticks rather enough for a couple of brushes but its inside the minimum you gave me. In my stash as I get to it I have lots of burl caps as well I will cut.

Now time is a premium I go into hospital on Tuesday and between now and then and after life is hectic.

My recreation has been on the Forum where I average 8 posts a day since I joined exceeding 5000 posts where I have tried to share continually in fact I think I talked to you a while back on the phone mate when you first joined love you work.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs:

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 19

RodN

First Name
Rod
rod I tried to ring you twice now realised the first time that it was 10 pm your time for example right now its 6.15 am on Saturday the 24th.

Ah! It was you then :-)

I have two sticks they weigh around 800 grams each I have been saving of chockas Brown Mallee Burl that I bought from my mate a Burl Getter that were part of a shipment years ago to be 18 inch sticks for making pool cues now switching to metric one in front of me is 38mm by 37 mm in fact I just bashed off a couple of pics on the kitchen table not right now nor did I intend to send you the whole sticks rather enough for a couple of brushes but its inside the minimum you gave me. In my stash as I get to it I have lots of burl caps as well I will cut.

Mallee burl is lovely stuff. 37mm is a bit small for my shaving brushes.... but I could have a go with it at making small handled brushes with smaller knots. :friendly_wink:

Drop me an email!!

Cheers
Rod

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).