• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

JWL-1220VS Mini Lathe

Jim

Grand Master
I have been looking at a mini lathe to use in the lean-to when it is finished, the one i like is the JWL-1220VS. I first saw it on Axminster site with £100 off, then i saw it on the Snainton Woodworking site, and now on Turners Retreat. It must be the Jet company that calls these deals ... JWL-1220VS

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
I have the model below that Jim, the 1014. Its perfect for pens and stable enough to turn a 10 inch chess piece. Jet is highly recommended

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
It has not been bolted down ....yet but I will when Im happy with the shed set up... it has 2 carry handles one each end its quite heavy for it size though its meant to be a 2 man job I think.you can see it in my shed post.

mervyn cadman

I have JWL1220vs Jim yes its Jet that makes them, I got sponsored by the them for my DVD its a really heavy maching a great lathe for shaving set, pens, boxes and small bowls, a high turning speed 4300rpm and and instant low speed for aplying CA finish at about 300-500 rpm I love this little guy - worth the money I say.

Merv

Pete B

Registered
Hi Jim,

I have this one as well and use it exclusively for pens.
I do like it but I do have a few observations.
The on/off button is on the right, took me ages to stop automatically reaching down to the left with my left hand as I have done many times.
Why is the variable speed on the left though ?
The variable speed is good and speeds things up, I keep it permanently on the largest (fastest) pulley combination and the speed range is perfect for all aspects of pen making, there is quite a lag though from very low speed before the speed increses when you increase the speed. Not a problem but maybe worth a mention.
The speed range from one pulley position is impressive though.
Does it justify the extra money for variable speed ? Yes, but how different is this lathe to the so many look a likes on sites like alibaba ?
The motor and electrics are probably upgraded.
The accuracy is ok but I recently noticed when I did a clear acrylic kitless fountain was out. I didn't notice before but when a piston filler was secured properly onto the section it was skewed against one wall a bit.
Not much but enough.
I had spent quite some time lining up the tailstock as when new it was out, so now I know, well I thought I knew that when drilling or anything really so long as the tailstock is pressed against the far bed it is quite accurate.
I am going to get to grips with the recent article re accuracy soon though.
I would have preferred the Axminster small lathe with the moveable power and speed switch to be absolutely honest but it is priced way too high.
It is a very good lathe don't get me wrong, but I did pay more money for it than they are now.
Any way just my thoughts.

Regards

Pete

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for the review Pete, the alignment can be a chore as i have experienced this on my lathe ... :thinks:

Pete B

Registered
One thing I forgot to mention.
Drilling, the only way I can drill very accurately on the lathe is when the locking handle is virtually fully closed as this brings up to spot on centre height, otherwise it would at least 1mm out.
Its only about 17 months old approx. and hasn't been hammered.

Pete

Jim

Grand Master
Jim treat your self and buy a Vicmarc VL100 :thumbs::thumbs:

I would love one of those Mark, but my funds do not stretch that far ... :rolling: I just done a search and the only one i can find by a UK supplier is the Lathe—VL150 at nearly £1300 and this is without a motor which is bought separately ... :vangry:

They are a fantastic lathe thou ... :ciggrin:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
The VL150 is the new model ie 6" swing instead of 4".
When I was looking there was a few second hand VL100's for sale in the UK.
I got alll my Vicky's second hand, one was never been used.
£1300 = $2159.52 Australian Dollar that is about what the EVS is here

Jim

Grand Master
Gents, is there an insert for the Nova and Sorby chucks to fit this lathe ... :thinks:

Thanks ...

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).