• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Summat

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I thought I'd cut a bit of wood off another block sent to me a while ago from a friend. There was a lot of pear in what he send and I think that this might be a bit that spalted although I'm willing to be corrected.

Attachments

• 467a.jpg
    467a.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 57

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Neat pen mate with depth. You never know when that will happen except in some timbers it can be predicted. Thanks for showing mate.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Not like any Pear pens that i have made in the past Paul, this is much more interesting wood for sure .. A great looking pen my friend .. :thumbs:

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
When I saw this pen I braved the cold to check in my workshop. I do have some pear that was removed from a tree when some wood at root level died off. Your blank looks very much like what I have. Was it in the process of becoming dry and rotted, Paul? A nice pen whatever the wood!

Bob.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
When I saw this pen I braved the cold to check in my workshop. I do have some pear that was removed from a tree when some wood at root level died off. Your blank looks very much like what I have. Was it in the process of becoming dry and rotted, Paul? A nice pen whatever the wood!

Bob.

A friend of mine in Cumbria was selling up and moving to Thailand Bob and asked me if I wanted the stuff he'd had for many years (probably over 30) so I gave him £200 for the lot delivered. It came on a lorry and there is lots of stuff some of which I haven't even looked at yet such as this and the last pen I showed. There was even a chunk of 18"x12"x6" Thuya, some blackwood, Elm, Plum, ... loads of stuff and lots of tools as well. So to answer your question Bob, it was dry but solid and very hard and dense wood.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).