• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Budget pen press

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
This is the pen press that I made. As corrected by David it was Frankie who told me about the press which was bought on ebay for £10.
Thanks for that info Frankie
The press was mounted onto a piece of wood which in my case was an old piece of oak flooring. The stop for the press was a piece of 2in angle iron with a bolt which was tapped into the angle iron. The bolt can be adjusted for length. Eventually I will put some insulation of some kind onto the ends of the bolts when I find some but for £10 I have a fully workable pen press.

Attachments

• 006 (350x263).jpg
    006 (350x263).jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 007 (350x263).jpg
    007 (350x263).jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 179
  • 008 (350x263).jpg
    008 (350x263).jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 179

Jim

Grand Master
That is a damn good effort Terry, another piece of the penturners jigsaw coming together ... :thumbs:

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
nice one terry have you made sure you can get a tipped blank ready for a tranny to be pressed home in it if you pm me your address I send you a bit of the yellow stuff I used,cheers Frankie.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Can you share the ebay seller on here ?

I feel the need to part with some MORE cash :whistling:

I'm already lighter for a new live centre, drill chuck, mandrel, pen kits, pen blanks and pen mill this week, so why not add a press :rolling:

I guess the madness has started :funny:

Phill

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Can you share the ebay seller on here ?

I feel the need to part with some MORE cash :whistling:

I'm already lighter for a new live centre, drill chuck, mandrel, pen kits, pen blanks and pen mill this week, so why not add a press :rolling:

I guess the madness has started :funny:

Phill

yep it started

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
A well constructed bit of kit there lad, well done.
I haven't yet felt the need for a pen press as there are so many other ways at my disposal without more clutter but I am very sure you will love it and use it plenty.

Davideccroft

Apprentice Member
First Name
David
Hi guys - this is my first post - Only got into pen turning a few months ago. I took a coach bolt, and glued it with epoxy resin onto a small cube of soft wood. I had mad a small recess to take in the bolt head. I have a few off cuts of sacrificial soft wood to get the right height for each stage and use the drill press to press the pens together. I just put the coach bolt into the drill press thread end up. So very gentle on the pen parts, no real cost, and no extra press needed as my workshop is not huge. I've made 5 pens using this and so much easier than in a vice or clamp. Didn't fancy buying a real one but like inventiveness of making a dedicated pen press in the post above - maybe on day I'll try that. My way seems to work fine for me for now.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).