• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

First try with antler

Firgenholt Joyner

Apprentice Member
First Name
Jim
A friend who is brand new to turning gave me an antler from here in Colorado and asked me to find out how to turn a pen. This is my first try. The pen kit is just a plain gold slimline. I filled the antler surface with CA glue after turning and sanded to 12000 grit with sandpaper and Micromesh pads. The finish is 5 coats of CA glue with boiled linseed oil. Drilling the holes in the antler was a challenge and I wore a respirator due to the bad smell. It smells like burned hair!

IMG_0451.jpg

Jim

Jim

Grand Master
Now i like this pen, i like how the colour is spread with plenty of dark as normally you see more white in antler pens .. :thumbs:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Me too, nice colour in it, usually quite boring. Well done you.

Smells like burning hair because that is what it is, keratin mainly, same stuff as hair. Stinks revolting.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).