• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Ey up....

AndyC65

First Name
Andy
Now then,

Just joined and thought I'd introduce myself.

Coming back to woodwork after a ten year hiatus. Used to have a ShopSmith when I lived in the US (NJ), and the workshop room to go with it.

Been back in Donny for ten years, and the bug of pen turning is still gnawing away at me. Never made one - always promised myself I would. Was more into bowls & boxes back then.

Anyway, have myself booked on a pen turning course at Turners retreat for this Friday, and wondered if anyone had done that course or if anyone had any tips/advice for what to do or not do & any pertinent things I should ask about?

Looking forward to my stay here.

cheers,

Andy C

PS - The pen in the top left corner - Yorkshire rose & Leeds colours?? (MOT!)

Paul

Fellow
I'm sure you will love the course.

The chap here are pretty good at training through the critique.

So I started to learn here tbh.

My tip. Keep the wood wider than the tubes.

Learnt here. Sand with the lathe off.

But I warn you they are many opinions here. All right. Even when they contradict. You will get hooked.

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
Welcome to the forum Andy. Not been on that particular course, did a general turning course at TR some years ago and found it invaluable, as I'm sure you will on Friday. As regards questions, I'm sure there will be plenty whilst you're there and many more afterwards when you start by yourself. Just don't be afraid to ask as someone on here will have the answer, and there is always more than one!

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Welcome to the forum, show us photos of your day at TR.

Peter

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Welcome, Andy - have a great day, matey! Looking forward to seeing what springs forth from all that training!
(Jeez, another bloody Yorky - where do they all come from? LOL!)

Bob.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Welcome Andy enjoy your training and when you have finished you can show all the northerners how to turn a pen:funny::funny::funny:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Andy there is no perfect way only your way put your stamp on it right from the get go you can spend far too much time chasing rainbows, good old fashioned care and safety are important. Did you enjoy your time in the states in New Jersey? one of my mob left Scotland in the 1700.s and was the 5th President of Princeton University there documented his life experiences.

I believe courses are great worthwhile as it takes you to another place stimulating new experiences. With your previous knowledge you should feel quite at home. Welcome to the forum from Australia mate.

Peter.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).