• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Silicone mats Casting ribbons

kjmc1957

Registered
Morning All
I hope you are all wrapped up, I've cast a few ribbons so far but I'd like to cast some more, I've cast it on float glass so and had a couple of issues with it sticking but that might be down to me being too late/too early with the acrylic.

I was thinking this might be a much better solution.

Any one got any thoughts?

kjmc1957

Registered
Hi PaulM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkMQzyW9fKM

Watch this, it should show you what I wanted to do.........but didn't quite.......I got some ribbons but not as many as I wanted because of the sticking to the glass issue, on another resin forum that I frequent a suggestion was made about usinga polypropylene board which I think is a comon or garden chopping board.

I'm at the 'I've put the curled ribbons into a mold' stage, I've yet to pour the resin on them yet as I've not been in the shed for a few weeks.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thats quite interesting Kevin, I look forward to seeing the progress.

Could you put a releasing agent on the glass first?

Incognitouk

my few pennies worth is ... a lot depends on what type of resin your using, from my experience in using urethane resins the chopping board is the answer all the way

from what i have read and seen using the glass method with polyester resins timing is the key

Paulm you could use a release agent but in doing so you would have to make sure all of the agent was off the ribbons before recasting for obvious reasons

kjmc1957

Registered
Hi IncognitoUK

On the other forum I asked the question about releasing agents, their considered reply was that it would be almost impossible to ensure that the releasing agent was completely removed and if it wasn't then there would areas in the blank where the acrylic was not a single solid entity.

I've never tried PE but I might buy some to discover the differences, it seems to me that the acrylic world is as much about experimenting and experiencing in ones own context as it is about anything else.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I have formed the opinion with casting that repetition is a key when the blanks can be produced that resemble one another a blank maker and the customer have a product they can operate with. The blank is a means to an end why they are even given names at this stage.

Feeling for your pain when making your ribbons you used a term more familiar normally aimed at fellow casters using this method, every process has its key words even a special language Kevin like your debate on this term its foode for thought for me a solution you are looking forward for you. Thinking aloud can certainly promote discussion. Thanks.

Peter.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).