• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My Closed End c+c welcomed

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
Peter requested us to put up our experience of making a closed end pen. I found very easy and a joy to do, but then I do have a closed end mandrel that Peter very kindly gave me. It's made to take the brass tubes of Sedonas, Omegas and Jnr Gents so there's scope to play with different pen styles. I did an Omega as it was the only fountain pen I had in stock at the time. I have done a closed end before with a roller ball on a Sedona but they are more tricky to make as the hole in the blank has to be of the exact depth so that the spring used with the rollerball sits at just the right depth, otherwise the refill will either be loose or not fit at all. I will offer mine for sale at the fair I'm doing and see if there's any interest. If it sells with some enthusiasm I'll make some more and play with the end shape. Thanks for the competition Peter and I look forward to receiving my life changing sum of money :ciggrin::kiss::banana::whistling:
Omega Chrome Fountain Closed End Thuya Burr.jpg
Omega Chrome Fountain Closed End Thuya Burr2.jpg

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Ray I hope there is a win big enough to be life changing, otherwise you will have to settle for a couple of kits:banana:

It's good that you enjoy doing closed end, I think it offers another dimension, everyone who sees my closed end pens prefer them to straight kit pens.

Peter

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
A very nice pen Ray and a worthy winner :thumbs:

Ray I hope there is a win big enough to be life changing, otherwise you will have to settle for a couple of kits

I would have thought with that many tickets, there should be a couple of winners there at least :wink:
Anyway it isn't the winning, it's the taking part that counts :thumbs:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Worthy winner Ray. lovely turning, beautiful blank.

You're a chicken shit for taking the easy option of a fountain pen though, deduct 5 votes:funny::funny::funny:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Ray tick the above mostly however with that lower pic it would cancel some of the impact. Lively grain mate. Enjoy the reward for your effort in style you wish to enjoy. Great show of strength all round.

Peter.....:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
A very nice pen Ray and a worthy winner :thumbs:

I would have thought with that many tickets, there should be a couple of winners there at least :wink:
Anyway it isn't the winning, it's the taking part that counts :thumbs:

I hope so and with Ray taking 1st. place I think he should check out all the tickets tonight to see if there was a win and let me know, of course if there is a massive win I will probably have to administer the share out from abroad, but I will keep you informed by postcard:funny:

Peter

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Ray, you asked for C&C and to be honest there is nothing in the turning or finish to comment upon.

I do like the slightly concave shape of the barrel and I think you could have been even more adventurous with that, narrowing the upper end of the barrel even more before the curve back out to the end. Not so much a criticism as an alternative suggestion.

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
Ray, you asked for C&C and to be honest there is nothing in the turning or finish to comment upon.

I do like the slightly concave shape of the barrel and I think you could have been even more adventurous with that, narrowing the upper end of the barrel even more before the curve back out to the end. Not so much a criticism as an alternative suggestion.
Thanks for that Walter, I'll give that a go next time :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).