• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Another 2 experimental pens

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
First is one of the Kallenshaan - Negative Blanks I bought from TB (pack of 6 for $2). I didn't know what they were and I think probably only 4 are usable but looked interesting.
I should have painted the tube :goesred: but actually in the hand it's hardly noticeable. Holes are filled with a mixture of epoxy glue mixed with some brass dust/shavings I'd saved. Not a perfect pen but my missus loves it and i think she's going to pinch it.

Second is something I remember Paul M mentioning, copper wire filled with solder. I found this very difficult, especially winding the copper on to the tube and I had to solder in stages as it just runs out if the heat isn't just right :nooidea: Nice effect though so might try again on a different kit

Attachments

• inlay.jpg
    inlay.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 85
  • copper.jpg
    copper.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 85

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Bob seeing these on Timberbits site gave me the impression he was dealing with Kallenshaan in the states when a question came where to buy a Stars and Stripes blank the impression I received was the enquirer was worried about freight.

Now you bought these they can be put to so many uses without the meticulous cutting initially involved. Must be fun experimenting apart from the stary pic they lookm interesting.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs:

Treeesa

Graduate Member
First Name
Andy
Couple of cracking efforts there Bob I like them both but especially the copper wire - as it was another great tip from Paul I wonder if it's only wood that his spaniel collects!! I've noticed the signalling faults on the train going south :funny::funny::funny:

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
Two very nice pens Bob. It's great to see someone experimenting to achieve something different. I like them both but the copper wire is the one for me.:thumbs:

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Very cool Bob! You could pre-bend the copper around a slightly smaller former. Then you've only fot to hold it in place while soldering it :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Very nice, some of those blanks TB does look great.

Peter

Jim

Grand Master
These look good to me Bob, i have seen pens with the copper and solder before and this is as good as what i saw for sure .. I like that you had a go at experimenting and posting the results, it is such as this how we all learn my friend .. :thumbs:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Very cool Bob! You could pre-bend the copper around a slightly smaller former. Then you've only fot to hold it in place while soldering it :thumbs:

I've got a couple of ideas for starting the wind and holding. I inserted a dowel to do that one and overwound at both ends to be cut off an trimmed square later. It struck me that if held in a chuck, the wire could be wound tight a bit like a fishing real or even powered at very slow speed on the metal lathe. need some experimenting:thinks:
So much to do - so little time!

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Love em both Bob I think you will find it was Rowdy who made one some time ago http://www.penturners.co.uk/other-m...copper-wire-sierra.html?highlight=copper+wire

Many thanks for that Woody, the post was before my time on here so hadn't seen it. I would never have thought of trying copper wire if Paul hadn't mentioned in passing.
I didn't realise there was a pdf somewhere and never thought of looking on the web. It was spur of the moment stuff when I found a reel of copper wire in the cupboard. I like Rowdys method of capping the ends as that was the hardest bit of mine.

Vics results with pewter have got me ferreting around the cupboards and lofts just in case:funny:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
They look far too professional and are quite evidently produced by a quality pen manufacturer! Like them a lot and you've given me (along with Brodys compressed spring) some ideas, which have probably been tried by someone elsewhere!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).