• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

2 omegas

Alanp

Registered
First Name
ALAN
2 new omegas turned this morning

Omega in a GW hybrid blank

OM754B.jpg
OM754.jpg

2nd in Thuya Burr

OMR755.jpg
OMR755B.jpg

Alanp

Registered
First Name
ALAN
i wasn't to keen on the hybrid blank myself until i finished it but now i really like it the wife took a fancy to it so it went into its hiding place.

heres the link Baldy Pen blanks

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
Both very nice. I've got one GW's blanks to do for the wife but I keep putting it off as I hate doing a CA finish. I've done 2 this week just because of cracks in the wood after turning and on both occasions it lifted away from the blank when I assembled the pen. Unless anyone has any tips on something else I can use to finish a GW blank?

Baldy

Fellow
First Name
Graeme
Thanks for the link.. now saved and going to keep an eye as all the ones I saw and thought wow are sold..

George Watkins

Registered
First Name
George
these look great, thank you for showing them and posting the link

Both very nice. I've got one GW's blanks to do for the wife but I keep putting it off as I hate doing a CA finish. I've done 2 this week just because of cracks in the wood after turning and on both occasions it lifted away from the blank when I assembled the pen. Unless anyone has any tips on something else I can use to finish a GW blank?

what grit are you sanding to? when CA lifts its usually a sign of old CA or too fine a grit so it cant adhere well, i stop at 600grit then apply CA.

you can use a number of different finish's, acrylic lacquer works well as does melamine let them cure then gently buff to a satin or very high gloss shine, another option is just buffing which i use 3 mops for then ren wax.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The Thuya is a cracker.

Peter

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Two very nice Omegas Alan. Both are well turned and finished :thumbs:
I usually like Georges hybrids, but I'm not keep on the colour mix on this one (sorry George) :whistling:
But the Thuya burr is superb :love_it:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).