• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Chess piece

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
1-P6300515-001.JPG

Sorry about the photo. This is the queen made from a log of cherry I was given. Should have been bigger but as I trimmed the sides on the bandsaw the end cracks were opening up. Lovely wood but a lot of waste, good job it was free.

keith

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
That is a nice bit of turning YM are you going to be making a set of these? :thinks:

Jim

Grand Master
Very nice Keith, did you use a template or was it done by eye .. :thinks:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Thanks for comments gents.
I did think of making a set - until I got halfway through this one then realised what a task it would be.
Jim I simply went on google images and down loaded a picture about A4 size then it was all done by eye to get something which (I think) looked right. Finished with one coat of acrylic varnish.
Its sat on a tabernacle which is what is used in the catholic church to keep the blessed bread and communion wine. The wife got me roped into doing if for free which really goes against the grain but its going to Ireland where the sisters of mercy run a holiday retreat for disabled children so I couldn't really charge.

keith

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).