• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

First Pen Turning attempt

Clothahump

First Name
Mark
Hi All

Here we go first attempt ever at turning pens, I have only had my lathe a short time and have just about assembled all the basic tools required to have a go.
So be kind here it is.
People have said they like pics so here's a few.

Made a quick set of clamps to aid drilling the blanks.
20150201_141733 (Medium).jpg

marked up ad about to drill.
20150201_142446 (Medium).jpg

Drill away.
20150201_142514 (Medium).jpg

Drilling done and test fit of tubes.
20150201_142759 (Medium).jpg

Inserts roughed up.
20150201_142954 (Medium).jpg

Glued up.
20150201_143201 (Medium).jpg

Trimming in process.
20150201_143750 (Medium).jpg

Trimmed.
20150201_143922 (Medium).jpg

:rolling:
Just found out I can only attaché 8 images so will continue below.
:thumbs:

Clothahump

First Name
Mark
Hi All

Part 2

Blanks mounted.
20150201_144220 (Medium).jpg

Mounted in my lathe.
20150201_144303 (Medium).jpg

Part way though hey might no be straight but at leas it looks round.
20150201_144619 (Medium).jpg

Getting better.
20150201_144709 (Medium).jpg

Looking a bit more like it.
20150201_145349 (Medium).jpg

Bit to eager me thinks killed it with mr skew.
20150201_145448 (Medium).jpg

Next attempt took to much off.
20150201_150442 (Medium).jpg

Lets go again.
20150201_170820 (Medium).jpg

Continued in next post.

Clothahump

First Name
Mark
Hi All

Part three.

So you can guess after taking to much off this time left to much on DOH!
So take it back down.
20150201_172918 (Medium).jpg

Work in progress.
20150201_173758 (Medium).jpg

At last a finished result not perfect by any standards but it is a pen and it writes and most importantly I made it.
20150201_175702 (Medium).jpg

So it was fun and the bug has defiantly bitten as you can see below some practice stock has visited the table saw and band saw and awaits drilling.
20150201_170848 (Medium).jpg

Thanks for reading any tip's constructive criticism most appreciated.

Regards
Mark

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
So it was fun and the bug has defiantly bitten as you can see below some practice stock has visited the table saw and band saw and awaits drilling.

Regards
Mark

It may not be perfect and many of us have been there. You ended up with a good little pen and as you say it was fun just keep enjoying yourself and also as you said you made it and should be proud of it keep it for something to look back on.
We look forward to seeing more pens in the future

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well done Mark good to see different set ups for drilling so thank you for that and you ended up with a very nice pen all be it with a hiccup in-between and you enjoyed yourself to boot thanks for sharing

broadsea

First Name
John
Mark I have never made a pen yet but will be starting today or tomorrow> You first attempt looks good mate, if you want a laugh wait and see mine...lol

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
That's looks a whole lot better than my first pen, Mark. Well done you for not settling for the first attempt, but being prepared to 'do over' until you got it right.

:thumbs:

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
That's a great first pen Mark. You faced a few of the pitfalls of pen making along the way and a few lessons have been learnt. Enjoyed looking at your pics mate don't worry about the cock ups we have all been their a few times I may add !

Welcome to the forum and enjoy

:camera:Vic:camera:

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
Well done indeed

I kept my first pen...it is a slimline that is fat and podgy to say the least

did you enjoy making it?
if the answer is yes then keep at

not that there looks anything wrong with your third attempt

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Steve

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Mark interesting sequence mate thanks I join with Mark we both enjoy our Vl machines, your drill press clamp is most effective. I hesitate to ream under power on the drill press having early days found it counter productive with a great number of timbers, they flake or split too easily. The shaping of the pen is really neat the finish is beaut making a pen to show off with all and sundry, do not be surprised at the requests, as your first completed pen will stir others so many have never seen a hand made woodpen before.

Excellent imagination many thanks for showing us.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
That's a great first pen and as long as you had fun making it then everything is as it should be. Keep at it and lets see your journey as you progress with different kits and blanks.

Peter

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
Well done Mark. Thanks for sharing your journey, a one we have all taken to produce your first pen & a good pen it is. Enjoy the forum & your pen turning. A bit of advice, practice your skew techniques on scrap timber till you are satisfied. That way you are not spoiling pen blanks or wasting you time preparing blanks which you may spoil. Best of luck.:thumbs:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Good first effort and a good learning experience it seems.

Main thing is you seem to have enjoyed the process, a lonnnnnnnnnggggggggg slippery slope to penury awaits :funny:

Trust me I know :sob:

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Mark, nothing wrong with anything you did for starting out mate and you got a pen to be proud of in the end and one to keep, well done mate, pack yourself on the back! :thumbs:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Hi Mark. Hats off to you for showing warts and all. If at first... etc etc, and you have proved the point. Congratulations on your first pen, and welcome aboard.

Clothahump

First Name
Mark
Very well done Mark, make sure you keep that pen.:thumbs::thumbs:

Good to see you are using a proper lathe.:thumbs::thumbs:

Hi Mark

Oh yes love my lathe :love_it:
Many years ago when I had a lesson with a wood turner as a gift he used Vicmarc lathes and I could see the build quality.
I picked mine up second had back end of last year had to drive 120miles for it but it was worth it.
It was made in 1997 so is 18 years old some time this year and the bearings still run very true and its very smooth in use. the only thing I would changes is I may fit a stepper motor and speed controller in the future instead of the belts and pulleys.
Part of me also wants to restore the pain finish but I'm not so sure about that will have to have the colour carefully matched if going to do that.

So I can say them make em good down under and here is a proper pic.

Thanks

Mark

20150201_180413 (Medium).jpg

Attachments

• 20150201_180413.jpg
    20150201_180413.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 27

Clothahump

First Name
Mark
Hi Peter

Thanks for your kind words finish is better that the turning but was easy all I did was sand up through the grades with abranet to 400 girt and then used the Micro Mesh sanding pads and then sanding sealer follow by friction polish hope this was all done in the right order it certainly made it look shiny.

many thanks

Mark

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).