• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Day 2 - Slimline in spalted beech - mixed results

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Well, had to have another go :whistling:

Mixed results,

Started with this blank cut from a piece I bought to do a stick head and high hopes from the look of it.

Ended with this (dark pic again sorry, didn't realise I'd have to buy a new camera as well :vangry: )

Some splitting on the ends and a tiny piece popped out in one of the dark sections, but a sanding dust and CA paste seems to have rescued it (Thank you Google :thumbs:)

Biggest disappointment is all that lovely figuring got turned to dust, it only ran about an 1/8" into the wood :rolling:

Attachments

• IMG_0092[1].jpg
    IMG_0092[1].jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0094[1].jpg
    IMG_0094[1].jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 25

Jim

Grand Master
Still a good job Phill, the camera can wait .... a few days at least ... :ciggrin: Wood like spalted beech can get a little spunky at the edges, if you have some thin CA use it to stabilise them, it certainly helps ... :thumbs:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Still a good job Phill, the camera can wait .... a few days at least ... :ciggrin: Wood like spalted beech can get a little spunky at the edges, if you have some thin CA use it to stabilise them, it certainly helps ... :thumbs:

Can you explain that in a bit more detail?

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Well Phil. where to start?
Good tip from Jim about the thin CA that works well, I think he means punky rather than Spunky.
A good choice to use the wood for a pen It would be to soft for a stick handle.
Cant fault the pen everything about it is charming, well done lad.
I don't think you need a new camera just better light or a play with the settings.
Or an editing program had a play for you with this picture.
IMG_0094[1].resized.jpg

Jim

Grand Master
Now where did i pick that word up George ... :ciggrin:

Phill, punky spalted woods are better sealed at the edges, depending on how bad it is you may need to use some thin CA before you actually start to turn the wood, and again when part way through.

Just make sure that you wipe inside the tubes with cotton bud or similar before it goes off ... :bwink:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Nice effort Phill. The problem with spalted wood is that the thinner you turn the wood the less chance there is of showing the markings. Unfortunately you've lost a lot but don't despair, carry on mate.

keith

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Half the fun was wondering what it would finish up like.

I enjoyed the process and more importantly learned that trick to "rescue" what otherwise I would have binned to be honest.

It's all good practice I guess. It will do for me for work so it's all good.

Bl**dy addictive :devil:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Half the fun was wondering what it would finish up like.

I enjoyed the process and more importantly learned that trick to "rescue" what otherwise I would have binned to be honest.

It's all good practice I guess. It will do for me for work so it's all good.

Bl**dy addictive :devil:

Glad to know your enjoying it. Just make sure you have plenty of money as you'll need it!!!!:devil::devil::devil:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).