• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Time to show all

woodyfxr

Apprentice Member
First Name
Ken
Well these are my first three pens, The straight slimline i made for myself as i had one like this years ago and it 'felt' just right, the centre section is turned stainless steel, a friend of mine has a small machine centre and he made it for me after much grumbling, (thanks Ken).

The acrylic one was a little tough to turn for me as i have said in another post. You guys with the sharp eyes will see that the transition from acrylic to the pointy end is not quite smooth there is a slight step, that's a me error. I bought those little polishing pads and they are amazing the finish is so smooth, though i have to say i have seen some woody has done and they truly are show pieces, if i can get anywhere near that i will be happy.
I gave this pen to my wife, she asked if it was for Valentines Day, i said of course (phew that was close :funny: )

The wood with gold kit I made a little fatter just to play with a shape.
I tried to make both wood pens with a hard gloss lacquer, the first one was i total balls up so i sanded it back and finished with oil. The second i tried again and got quite a good finish, looked like glass in fact but the feel was wrong so this was sanded back and finished with Chesnut friction polish, it feels real good.

The wood in both cases is Walnut.

Well that's my story so far,i just want some warmer weather to stay in the shed long. Also going to play with a larger piece of wood to practice my non existant turning skills, better make it a big bit of wood and make a lot of shaving :winking:

pens.jpg

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Nice work, Ken - three pens that look good enough to me! Well done! Suggestion - if you want a fatter slimline get hold of a Euro centre band, and the middle parts of the Euro bushes, and turn accordingly. This will give you a fatter pen. Come to think of it - why not get to know the Euro? A decent and much chunkier pen than the slimline - plus it will give you experience in turning the centre tennon.

Bob.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Pens look good to me but you've made a rod for your own back giving your missus a Valentines pressy (unless she buys you some expensive toys in return:devil:)

If you want to sell your pens, I wouldn't picture them with a Tesco notepad or you'll have to give them away.:funny:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
All three of them are good Ken and with your own critique you will improve very quickly although then are super already so not too much room for improvement. I like the home made centre band which gives it a very special touch. :thumbs:

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Very good effort Ken :thumbs:
Nothing wrong with giving your wife a pen. The very first pen I turned was a Valentines gift for "Her Indoors" she loved it and still does, even though I can see the faults in it :whistling:

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
Well Ken you've stepped off the cliff. There is no turning back. 3 nice pens to start your journey. You can make your own center bands and shape the slimlines any way you choose. It's fun to experiment.

woodyfxr

Apprentice Member
First Name
Ken
Nice work, Ken - three pens that look good enough to me! Well done! Suggestion - if you want a fatter slimline get hold of a Euro centre band, and the middle parts of the Euro bushes, and turn accordingly. This will give you a fatter pen. Come to think of it - why not get to know the Euro? A decent and much chunkier pen than the slimline - plus it will give you experience in turning the centre tennon.

Bob.

Whats a Euro pen, have not seen that yet ?

Pens look good to me but you've made a rod for your own back giving your missus a Valentines pressy (unless she buys you some expensive toys in return:devil:)

If you want to sell your pens, I wouldn't picture them with a Tesco notepad or you'll have to give them away.:funny:

I didn't see there name till i posted lol, knowing tesco i would have to pay them to sell them anyway.

All three of them are good Ken and with your own critique you will improve very quickly although then are super already so not too much room for improvement. I like the home made centre band which gives it a very special touch. :thumbs:

I think i will always see little faults lol

Well Ken you've stepped off the cliff. There is no turning back. 3 nice pens to start your journey. You can make your own center bands and shape the slimlines any way you choose. It's fun to experiment.

I have a preference for the straight slimline pen. A Bike?....I had a Harley till last year sold that and got a retro VW Trike

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Fit for any company Ken three to remember quite a narrative as well so you enjoyed yourself the main aim of the exercise involving others especially family and friends priceless. Well done mate.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Well done Ken three nice looking pens there, especially good knowing that they are your first ones .. Now you need test out your mate and ask him to make you a full kit in SS .. :thumbs:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Well done Ken.. :thumbs:

But I would certainly loose the "Tesco" writing pad, in fact I would loose the writing pad full stop and cut closer to the pens, but that's me and my opinion..:face:

As for Euro pens, take a look at this link.

European Pen / Pencil

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).