• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Brown Mallee Burl

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Spent quite a time physically cutting facets using the X and Y axis plus lowering the cutter by hand then shaping turning this in my opinion one of the friendly Burls. All blanks I use are selected to be tightly formed since spending so much effort in creating makes it all worthwhile.

There really is no such thing as Brown Mallee it is a common name one of the worlds most acknowledged experts in Eucalypts of Australia analysed the fruits, leaves, timber and pronounced it by its proper name that has faded from my memory.

Two things for me emerged 1. I really enjoy the fine unsmudging biro used in Slims and Streamlines, 2. Extending the refill suits my writing style.

Have a few more blanks to turn and experiment with design. The scrap of Huon Pine Burl is around a fifty year cut of a three thousand year old tree with around 50 one year growth rings, Huon Pine grows but mm,s per yr used under the pen.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0004-001.JPG
    DSCF0004-001.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF0007-001.JPG
    DSCF0007-001.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 25
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).