• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Vacuum Colouring, take 2

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I had another go at colouring with a vacuum and this time used spirit stain. It penetrated the wood ok and I guess it got the effect I wanted but I'm not 100% sure I like it and I might have got a better effect just wiping it on... onward and upward eh?

Attachments

• 473a.jpg
    473a.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 64

Treeesa

Graduate Member
First Name
Andy
Paul the great thing about all of this is we get to see what works and what needs development. I've now done a total of one casting in resin - I used wood, resin and colour and it doesn't look anything like one of George Watkins's blanks........ And I mean nothing like it :sob::sob: But maybe one day and that's what drives us on. Great stuff and thanks for showing :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
A goodly attempt, maybe different colours something a bit more wood like may work better.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I made two and have just put the other one back in with the red end in blue dye.

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
Maybe all one colour might have been better Paul. This is one my brother dyed in his vacuum chamber. Spalted Chestnut with blue only.

Chestnut.jpg

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).