• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hi from Cumbria

Picsnbits

Apprentice Member
First Name
Mike
Hi Folks.
Just messed up my first set of corian pen blanks - 'poxy glue down the brass tubes!!
Oops.
Guess this is my first step onto a long and steep climb to who knows where.
Been lurking for a couple of weeks so should have picked up on plugging the tubes before assembly. Ah well - I know now.
Mike.

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums Mike .. Yes, a bit of potato would help stop the glue running down the tubes .. We have all been there my friend .. Good luck with your next lot .. :thumbs:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Welcome Mike, yup stick the tube in potato before sticking the tube in the blank!

Enjoy the forum and the only stupid question is the unasked one. The mental stability of some here is questionable, but it's not exactly very serious.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Tother thing Mike is that a barbell trimmer would remedy the glue issue and also trim the ends. Much better with 7mm tubes than trying to sand on a disc sander as it's quite difficult to get the 7mm drill run absolutely true as they are flimsy and the grain or other inconsistencies in the density of the material can deflect the drill and without a home made accessory getting the blank ends at right angles to the tube is nigh on impossible

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Greetings Mike. Very soon you will experience the emotional roller coaster that is penturning. It can be quite a bumpy ride, but the ticket price is well worth it. :thumbs:

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
Hi Mike and welcome to the forum. If I get glue down the tubes I just clean it out with a round needle file when set, never bothered stopping the ends of the tubes, can't be arsed with that.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Welcome Mike

Whilst stuffing things into the tubes will work, my views on the use of potatoes are well known. they should be made into chips. :funny:

I use epoxy, it doesn't expand into the tubes and all you need to keep it out is a bit of care when inserting the tubes.

Treeesa

Graduate Member
First Name
Andy
Welcome Mike - loads of great advice on here just don't stick potatoe on the end of everything that you insert :funny::funny:

Last edited:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Welcome to the forum. Show us some photos.

Peter

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Welcome aboard Mike, you've just taken the first step on a VERY long slippery slope. It's like one of those roads where Mark (WM460) lives. Dead straight and no end in sight as far as the eye can see.:bwink:

You've just joined the best forum there is and you'll get all the help you need and some decent friendly banter.:thumbs:

edit: I use cheap modelling clay from the quid shop to plug the tube ends, when I can be bothered. If I get glue in the tubes, I scrape out the ends using a scalpel then a round needle file or fine sandpaper wrapped around a thin dowel If you do plug with clay or potato, make sure you clean the outside again before glueing

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).