• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

JR Gent-fountain pen in Bog oak

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Nice deep black Bog Oak fountain pen

Smaller fountain pen than most, really nice pen to hold.

Attachments

• PT-Bog oak.JPG
    PT-Bog oak.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 39

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Silver are you sure that's a Junior Gent?
I have some of those kits given to me from a friend they have the rubber o0rings in them and the same finial on the cap which differs from the Jnr Gent.
I could be wrong but when I sized up the bushes they are a different size and yours looks a bit on the lean side at the flanges.
There should be o0ring on the top of the pen for posting cap to.
Sorry to criticize but I want to be sure for when I make my kits up.
This is the closest I have seen to it but am still unsure if that is correct. Americana Chrome Ink Ball Pen Kit - Americana Classic Range - Pen Kits - Shop

Jim

Grand Master
That bog oak looks much better than the piece i used to make a couple of pens ... :bwink: Great looking pen .. :thumbs:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Silver are you sure that's a Junior Gent?
I have some of those kits given to me from a friend they have the rubber o0rings in them and the same finial on the cap which differs from the Jnr Gent.
I could be wrong but when I sized up the bushes they are a different size and yours looks a bit on the lean side at the flanges.
There should be o0ring on the top of the pen for posting cap to.
Sorry to criticize but I want to be sure for when I make my kits up.
This is the closest I have seen to it but am still unsure if that is correct. Americana Chrome Ink Ball Pen Kit - Americana Classic Range - Pen Kits - Shop

Yes you are right, I purchased allot of these along time ago from Xiamen Rizheng Industry Co.,Ltd. when my dad and I was doing allot of pens. they were badged then from Taiwan as Ghent. (don't ask me why they had an H in it) I understand they were made for the USA market and then were sold as the "Americana" hence I understand where it got it's name...

Yes they do have a o ring but the drawings on the originals was between the tube and the coupler, which makes the body look like its been cut on the "lean" side.

See attached drawing for reference.

Hope that helps.. but yes I should have called it the Americana as the JR gent is a completely different pen. :goesred:

Attachments

• PT- drawing -02.jpg
    PT- drawing -02.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 29

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Many thanks for that explanation Silver I feel safe to assume the kits I have are indeed the Americana.
Would I also be correct in saying that the bushes are a different size by a slight amount and proceed with the purchase of Americana bushes?

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Would I also be correct in saying that the bushes are a different size by a slight amount and proceed with the purchase of Americana bushes?

The ones we purchased could well be slightly different bush size than the ones vince is selling. But you should have no problems. But as a good practice you should always measure your fittings and bush size so that you can make sure the fit is correct. I usually do this with a digital vernier.

I have been caught out with putting the bushes back in the wrong place and then of course this means that the wrong bushes used when turning a pen. :goesred:

So it is always best to measure, especially if they are used bushes, as wear in the bushings may become a problem.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).