• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Polimer clay: Going to do some experiments.

Gunsmith Fiamma

First Name
Francesco
Hello fellow turners,

I had this 2 blocks of polymer clay hidden in a corner of a drawer for some years.
I was going to trow 'em in the bin, but I just wanted to try something new.
Why not making some blank out of it? After some poking, kneading,rolling and twisting(it's was very old polimer clay, so it's almost hard as rock and very dry), i got this 2 blanks:
IMG_0901_zps54c83b9a.jpg

As I expected from old clay, it developed some cracks during the baking process, but i will still turn it in to pens.
The lighter color is pearlescent and I'm pretty sure it will show a good contrast once properly turned.
The square one will be a gold european, and the round one will be a gold Fancy.
Since its almost impossible to bring this brand of clay to a shine, it will be finished with CA.
If the cracks will show in the turning I will fix it whit CA before the finishing process.
I will start next week and will see what will come out.

Stay tuned
Francesco

Jim

Grand Master
Good luck with the project Francesco, we look forward to seeing the results my friend .. :winking:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
No matter what Francesco, its better to have tried and failed than not tried at all. :thumbs:

Hopefully it won't fail and you'll make some lovely pens from it. :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Francesco I think the method of use I have heard is to knead it roll it out flat fix it to the brass tube press decorations in and bake then turn but whatever mate have fun.

Peter.:thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I have done a few but the way Peter said cutting it in slices and press them on the tube and roll it then bake and turn that way there is very little waste but I hope your way works well for you 247.JPG244.JPG

Gunsmith Fiamma

First Name
Francesco
Francesco I think the method of use I have heard is to knead it roll it out flat fix it to the brass tube press decorations in and bake then turn but whatever mate have fun.

Peter.:thumbs:
Indeed mate, what you said is the correct method, but since I want to obtain a Mokume effect, I tried to form a blank. I'm not so skilled, with this kind of medium and the 2 blocks of clay, where part off a gift that I received from a ex girlfriend. She was very skilled with polymer clay and she did some 1/35 figure for my plastic models.
I did want to start turning those tonight, but tomorrow I have to wake up very early in the morning and I have to drive 300 Km, because of a gunsmithing fair here in Italy.

Cheers mate
Francesco

Gunsmith Fiamma

First Name
Francesco
I have done a few but the way Peter said cutting it in slices and press them on the tube and roll it then bake and turn that way there is very little waste but I hope your way works well for you View attachment 14263View attachment 14264
Vic,
the one on the left is amazing!!! It will be a perfect gift for a teenager.

Thanks for the amazing photos
Fracesco

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
That one was done by twisting the 4 colours together rolling it out cut in half and repeat then cut slices of and stick them to the tube and roll n bake

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I look forward to seeing how they turn out, I have been trying a mokume effect, but haven't produced anything I am happy with, yet.

Peter

Gunsmith Fiamma

First Name
Francesco
First attempt at turning a pen........ Failed.........

Sadly, the effect is very good, but the medium is too brittle and cant take the CA glue very well
IMG_0903.jpg
Tomorrow will try the square one, but I'm not expecting a better result.
Gonna scrape away the brass tubes and dip them in Acetone to get rid of the glue.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
The blank may have failed but you did not, as without failure we can't move forward and find the success. Well worth the try which is a shame as the blank looked really good

Gunsmith Fiamma

First Name
Francesco
2nd attempt.........

Hello mates,
I managed to turn the second blank and it came out decent.
FullSizeRender.jpg
This time it was a little rubbery and it was pretty easy to turn.
The blank, was full of air pockets in the twist sections, but the CA finish took care of it.
Gonna try it again with fresh clay of good brand (will try Premo), but not now, better when is a little warmer in the shop.

Thanks for following this post
Francesco

Ps: Took the photo with the Iphone, i will use my reflex camera again when I get ahold of a new light tent.

Jim

Grand Master
Got to agree with you Francesco, it sure did turn out nice my friend .. :winking:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).