• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Burr Elm wall clock

Pete B

Registered
Hi,

Its about 3 1/2 feet long. Burr Elm very hard timber.
Its for swwbo's and my friend in Essex, not making anything from it as i have a rule.
German high torque workings in a routed square behind and takes an AA battery.
I wanted to use Ghesso behind the Silver and then pattinate it.
I'm asking if i can do that but the extension it is going has a lot of Chrome.
Its sterling leaf, i think its too bright personally.
It was not meant to be neat and perfect and i deliberately didn't fill the small voids.
The Silver looks better than the photo shows.
Its had 3 coats of wood doc 5 from Phil Irons then several coats of woodoc polish.
It has to be 'not shiny', but i'm working on whether i can make it velvety with a lot more polish, which will have to go on anyway as its still a bit patchy, in places.
I recently came across a smaller oak burr wall clock the other day with a skeleton insert and a barometer, it was extremely good and £550.
A tad high me thinks.
C and C welcome.

Regards

Pete

3.7.13 005.jpg

Pete B

Registered
Hi,
this is it installed.
Thank you all for the help with hanging, ironically the chosen was was a different one than first intended and was breeze block.
I wish i could get timber like this everyday.
Regards
Pete
Burr Elm large wall clock 1.jpg

Jim

Grand Master
It surely looks in the right place Pete, i am sure it will be a talking subject to your visitors .. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).