• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Finishing Polymer Clay

Jim

Grand Master
Guys, what is the best way to put a finish on Polymer Clay .. Is CA common with the stuff or is there a better way of putting a sheen on it? :thinks:

Thanks in Advance .. :thumbs:

Gunsmith Fiamma

First Name
Francesco
Jim,
I tried using micromesh till 12000, but the finish was still not good.
Maybe is the brand of polimer clay I used in past, but is too soft to mantain luster if you handle it too much.
CA will give some surface strenght and, imho, is easy to finish.
Look at this one:
IMG_0966.jpg
I turned this for my mother 60th birthday and after little time of simple use, it was so scratched that looked almost grinded to 80 grit...
I had to strip it down, put it back on the late and give it a good CA finish.
Now, it's been used for a year and no scratch so far, its still good and shiny.
I think it depend on the brand of clay I used, but never tried other brand, so I can't really compare.

Have a good weekend
Francesco

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
There is a glossy compound you can get for the clay, but I have never used it, CA works well.

Peter

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Jim, did you settle on the CA finish and how did it turn out :nooidea:
I have bought some Fimo clay and a Pasta machine and was thinking of trying a pen blank.
I have looked at you tube and think I know everything :funny:
One thing I am worried about is the size/OD to make the blank. I think I picked a Zeta as I can have a 2-3 mm thick wall. Does the baked clay turn down, skew ? or is it a matter of going through the grits with abranet and micro mesh. :nooidea:
There are some good videos on making canes but I see nothing about finishing pens. Hope I can get some info. here.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I would be looking to Ed to come in with his extensive knowledge in reply to my questions so far on this forum he inferred the surface was tough and long lasting so there must be a number of differing canes , materials methods etc confused in this question Jim has raised. I have never made a pen with this material.

Peter:fingers:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Jim,
I tried using micromesh till 12000, but the finish was still not good.
Maybe is the brand of polimer clay I used in past, but is too soft to mantain luster if you handle it too much.
CA will give some surface strenght and, imho, is easy to finish.
Look at this one:
View attachment 14287
I turned this for my mother 60th birthday and after little time of simple use, it was so scratched that looked almost grinded to 80 grit...
I had to strip it down, put it back on the late and give it a good CA finish.
Now, it's been used for a year and no scratch so far, its still good and shiny.
I think it depend on the brand of clay I used, but never tried other brand, so I can't really compare.

Have a good weekend
Francesco

Hi Francesco great to see you back.

Peter.:fingers:

Gunsmith Fiamma

First Name
Francesco
I'm always lurking here :tongue:
The fact is that right now, in Italy, we are experiencing an heatwave like never before, so my workshop is out of limits (almost 40°) in the evening.
This being said, turning pens will be more a feat than a hobby.....

See you mate
Francesco

EStreet

Registered
First Name
Ed
Finishing polymer clay is in itself an art but also science based. So far the best I have seen is with using CA. Be cautious about using acetone products around polymer clay and/or CA as it will eat the material quite bad.

I tell everyone to do a very light sanding with 800-1000 grit end to end (bushing to bushing) with the lathe OFF then add your standard CA coating from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjvrQtgRtv8

Jim

Grand Master
I did give it a CA finish Don, i wasn't that pleased with it to be honest .. Just need to get it on a pen now .. :whistling:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Finishing polymer clay is in itself an art but also science based. So far the best I have seen is with using CA. Be cautious about using acetone products around polymer clay and/or CA as it will eat the material quite bad.

I tell everyone to do a very light sanding with 800-1000 grit end to end (bushing to bushing) with the lathe OFF then add your standard CA coating from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjvrQtgRtv8

Thanks Ed never seen a better finish than that ever.

Peter.:fingers::fingers:

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
I have bought some Fimo to try and make some blanks.
Don't know when I will get round to it as holidays keep getting in the way :nooidea:
But it looks as if it is a very much ' suck it and see ' approach. :funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).