• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Mulberry crown with turquoise on a Jr Gent rollerball and a Sierra and a custom slim

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
This is wood from the scar tissue created by pollarding a mulberry tree. All the branches are cut off back to a few main limbs every winter. As a result, big knobs of scar tissue form on the end of the limbs. The inside of the knobs is full of voids, pith, and wild color and grain. I fill the flaws with crushed turquoise.

jrgent-001.jpg

pen.jpg

mb3.jpg

Sharon from Phoenix, AZ USA

Jim

Grand Master
Beautiful pens Sharon, difficult to believe that they are the same wood ... :thumbs:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I really like what you have done with these Sharon, it just shows what can be achieved using the voids and splits to your advantage.

The finish on all the pens is top notch.

Thanks for sharing them.

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
The woods are fantastic, the fit and finish is excellent, the pictures are of a viewable quality, the kits are all acceptable.
Ooh dear that Turquoise is thoroughly disgusting, much better to have made a paste of the wood dust and used that as a filler.
Sorry it just don't do for me, I have seen it done with brass and copper dust too but it turns me off what otherwise would have been a stunning item.
Keep on doing it though because all the others here seem to like it. I am obviously the only one with no taste.

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
My market is here in the southwest, and the turquoise is very popular, especially in the galleries featuring Native American style art.

Sharon

The woods are fantastic, the fit and finish is excellent, the pictures are of a viewable quality, the kits are all acceptable.
Ooh dear that Turquoise is thoroughly disgusting, much better to have made a paste of the wood dust and used that as a filler.
Sorry it just don't do for me, I have seen it done with brass and copper dust too but it turns me off what otherwise would have been a stunning item.
Keep on doing it though because all the others here seem to like it. I am obviously the only one with no taste.

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
Just a note on the pictures. I needed a quick picture of the second pen (the sierra), and my camera battery was dead. So I threw the pen on the scanner, draped a red serviette over it and scanned it. I was amazed at how well it turned out.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Just a note on the pictures. I needed a quick picture of the second pen (the sierra), and my camera battery was dead. So I threw the pen on the scanner, draped a red serviette over it and scanned it. I was amazed at how well it turned out.

Clever thinking! I would never have thought of it ...

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).