PDA

View Full Version : Mulberry crown with turquoise on a Jr Gent rollerball and a Sierra and a custom slim

sbwertz
03-07-13, 22:28
This is wood from the scar tissue created by pollarding a mulberry tree. All the branches are cut off back to a few main limbs every winter. As a result, big knobs of scar tissue form on the end of the limbs. The inside of the knobs is full of voids, pith, and wild color and grain. I fill the flaws with crushed turquoise.

Sharon from Phoenix, AZ USA

Pete B
03-07-13, 22:33
Hi,

these are all stunning the turquoise is great.

Pete

Jim
03-07-13, 22:51
Beautiful pens Sharon, difficult to believe that they are the same wood ... :thumbs:

Terry
04-07-13, 06:43
Very nice looking pens. Thanks for showing Sharon!!!:thumbs:

silver
04-07-13, 06:52
I really like what you have done with these Sharon, it just shows what can be achieved using the voids and splits to your advantage.

The finish on all the pens is top notch.

Thanks for sharing them.

clumsysod
04-07-13, 08:22
The woods are fantastic, the fit and finish is excellent, the pictures are of a viewable quality, the kits are all acceptable.
Ooh dear that Turquoise is thoroughly disgusting, much better to have made a paste of the wood dust and used that as a filler.
Sorry it just don't do for me, I have seen it done with brass and copper dust too but it turns me off what otherwise would have been a stunning item.
Keep on doing it though because all the others here seem to like it. I am obviously the only one with no taste.

stevenw1963
04-07-13, 09:58
Like the look of that wood a lot - nicely turned & finished pens too.

sbwertz
04-07-13, 12:50
My market is here in the southwest, and the turquoise is very popular, especially in the galleries featuring Native American style art.

Sharon

The woods are fantastic, the fit and finish is excellent, the pictures are of a viewable quality, the kits are all acceptable.
Ooh dear that Turquoise is thoroughly disgusting, much better to have made a paste of the wood dust and used that as a filler.
Sorry it just don't do for me, I have seen it done with brass and copper dust too but it turns me off what otherwise would have been a stunning item.
Keep on doing it though because all the others here seem to like it. I am obviously the only one with no taste.

naxie
04-07-13, 13:40
I love the turquoise, I think it draws the eye to appreciate the grain even more. Thanks for showing.

sbwertz
04-07-13, 16:00
Just a note on the pictures. I needed a quick picture of the second pen (the sierra), and my camera battery was dead. So I threw the pen on the scanner, draped a red serviette over it and scanned it. I was amazed at how well it turned out.

Jimjam66
04-07-13, 16:35
Just a note on the pictures. I needed a quick picture of the second pen (the sierra), and my camera battery was dead. So I threw the pen on the scanner, draped a red serviette over it and scanned it. I was amazed at how well it turned out.

Clever thinking! I would never have thought of it ...

Jim
04-07-13, 21:13
I am obviously the only one with no taste.

Exactly ... :thumbs: