• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A little bit of colour

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Two bits of Sycamore given different treatments one a light rub over with a used teabag the other I used a water colour pencil then a damp cloth to lift some colour off and to even the colour out
DSCF2967.JPGDSCF2968.JPGDSCF2969.JPGDSCF2970.JPG

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
They are both very nice, the colour in both is good and just goes to show that you don't need to buy expensive stains to make a superb job. Thanks for that Woody :thumbs:

Guess what I'm going to try later :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Been doing that for years dad and so have you init?
Have you got the tube upside down on the bottom one?

Jim

Grand Master
Well a used teabag is the first for me Woody, and what a result .. Both look good and both look like well aged wood .. Love em .. :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Great lesson Woody dont throw out plain wood I have at least half a ton of plain looking Huon Pine I will give a stain treatment to now even the wall to wall tight growth rings should come up I bought it to make toys whilst in Tasmania which might sound easy but its a long way from my home and an overnight ferry ride and road journey of some magnitude to ship back so thanks between you and Paul quite a pick me up mate.

Thanks Peter.:thumbs::thumbs:

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
What a great idea mate. The efifects achieved are really rather good. Nice one! :thumbs: Although, given your status. I trust you were using a Twinings tea bag :whistling:

GeordieB

Registered
First Name
george
Two great pens Woody:thumbs: and thanks for the tip have you tried the tea bag stain out on a bowl or would it go patchy because of the surface area?

Last edited:

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
I leant the tea bag trick off my grandad years ago & it still works a treat. Two lovely pens Woody. I like the lighter one best, it shows the grain pattern nicely.:thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Two great pens Woody:thumbs: and thanks for the tip have you tried the tea bag stain out on a bowl or would it go patchy because of the surface area?

Put some tea in a mop like you would to do French polish wet it and let the water soak in then gently wipe it around your bowl and have a damp cloth at hand to mop up any excess tea start with board of wood till you get the hang of doing it, It is far more forgiving than spirit stain

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).